Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Can I flash an S4 file to an A6 box?  (Read 38965 times)
jibberjive

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

Yeah, tip ECU with 6-speed software, in a 6-speed car.  So you've successfully ran a tip ECU in a manual car and verified that yourself then I take it?
julex

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »

Yeah, tip ECU with 6-speed software, in a 6-speed car.  So you've successfully ran a tip ECU in a manual car and verified that yourself then I take it?

I have some discouraging news on this one. Normally, an ECU should be re-coded for a type of tranny you want, but from my experience ECU ignores the tranny indicator change request and stays locked in the type of tranny the ECU was made for.

There is a workaround though for this but depending on what ECU (immo or not) it is, it might require taking it out and making a jumper for boot mode, you'd also need galletto flasher as it can flash in boot mode. Immobilizer ECUs don't allow flashing when not authenticated with cluster so for bench flashing you need boot mode, in car flashing with paired ecu-cluster would probably work with nefmoto flasher.

Last night I was playing with 4z7 907 551 M ECU (allroad model for auto tranny) and it was not possible to change coding from Tip to 6 speed in Vag-Com...

I flashed with S4 M box file and the tiptronic coding remained and I was still not able to change it... I don't know what practical implications of this are but I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy about it.

The workaround I found was to flash it with allroad 4z7 907 551 (no letter) ECU for 6 speed, then the ECU allowed re-coding to 6 speed. I then flashed it with S4 M box again and the coding was now for manual car...

Next step will be to take this ECU with S4 M-box and install in my allroad to see if immobilizer throws a fit, but seeing how my maestro S4 tune they flash to all APB engines works just fine, I should be ok.
phila_dot

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »

Not personally, but this is standard procedure for the 6 speed swap guys.
jibberjive

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 03:41:17 AM »

Got an ECU from a 2001 tip A6 on the way, so I'll let you all know my experiences  in a little.
julex

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

Got an ECU from a 2001 tip A6 on the way, so I'll let you all know my experiences  in a little.

It should work just fine. Yesterday I played a bit with a tip Allroad ECU which was throwing a code for missng TCU message sop obviously it was expecting TCU to communicate with it.

I then flashed it with S4 M-box file with galletto in boot mode (read above why, A6/Allroad ECU won't allow Nefmoto flasher to flash due to immo lockout, only boot mode can defeat that) and the message was gone.

I already paid for checksum plugin ($15) to the MTX guys so as soon as I get it, I will make some crude changes to TOny's stage 3 Mbox file (for my maf and injector) and will be trying the ECU in my allroad.

Should be fun!
jibberjive

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »

I haven't reasearched yet (it will take 2 seconds to find out) if the '01 A6's have immo, but I'm hoping not because I don't have galletto and boot mode capabilities.  If it doesn't work, I'm sure I can make it though, just like you're saying. 

I'm excited to see how those MAF tables and injector constants work out!
julex

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

I haven't reasearched yet (it will take 2 seconds to find out) if the '01 A6's have immo, but I'm hoping not because I don't have galletto and boot mode capabilities.  If it doesn't work, I'm sure I can make it though, just like you're saying. 

I'm excited to see how those MAF tables and injector constants work out!

The A6 EC I am playing with was from 2001 and have immo. AFAIK from late 1999 all A6s had immobilizer of sorts.
jibberjive

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

Ballls.
julex

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »

Ballls.

But galletto and cable is pretty cheap off ebay. The only tricky part is soldering leads for boot mode flash... They also come with that female obd2 to audi k-line (old style) dongle which you can sacrifice to make either an extension or harness for bench flashing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:52:45 PM by julex » Logged
julex

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:18 AM »

More to report on using A6 ECU in other cars.

I am currently running a true frankenstein in my 6 speed Allroad. It is an A6 tip ECU (year 2002) with S4 M-Box file flashed to it.

Most importantly, the immobilizer gets completely nuked when you reflash with non-immo bin file and my car doesn't protest at all running S4 M-Box.

If my allroad with immo circuitry can run hardware box with formerly different immo code then it is rather certain that an S4 would be fine with A6 ECU (up to ME 7.1.1 model which I believe was 2003 for A6).
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

^^
Agreed.
Great news!  Seems i wasted $25 on the vag-tacho.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
julex

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »

^^
Agreed.
Great news!  Seems i wasted $25 on the vag-tacho.

Not really. You can at least clock your mileage back to keep the car "young". Smiley
smeege

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »

If I'm reading this right, there should be some s4 files that work on a 6 spd A6? My brother and I both have A6s, and my dad has an Allroad (all 6 spd), only the Allroad has immo. I've been looking for a def file for my A6, but if I could use an S4 bin instead, there's def files all over for them.

Our A6s our both 4B0907551K and the Allroad is a 4Z7907551. Does anybody know what works for those? I previously tried flashing a a-box s4 file to my car, got no start, but VCDS communicated fine with the ECU after flashing it. Car was fine after flashing original file back.

julex, can you flash your Allroad ECU in the car now that the immo is off?
julex

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »

If I'm reading this right, there should be some s4 files that work on a 6 spd A6? My brother and I both have A6s, and my dad has an Allroad (all 6 spd), only the Allroad has immo. I've been looking for a def file for my A6, but if I could use an S4 bin instead, there's def files all over for them.

Our A6s our both 4B0907551K and the Allroad is a 4Z7907551. Does anybody know what works for those? I previously tried flashing a a-box s4 file to my car, got no start, but VCDS communicated fine with the ECU after flashing it. Car was fine after flashing original file back.

julex, can you flash your Allroad ECU in the car now that the immo is off?
Flash M-box S4 ecu bin file and it will work on both A6 and allroad. It will kill Immo on allroad so no prob there. SO LONG all cars run APB engine, not 2002 and + BEL engine.

I just tuned my AR (same ECU id as the one you listed) and  just clocked 430wph on w/m so it is top notch Smiley on S4 M-box file.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:52:19 PM by julex » Logged
smeege

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

I had the wrong # for the Allroad, I'll have to double check it, but I know it's a BEL engine, in an 04 Allroad. I have a bin file for an 03 A6 with a BEL engine, which has a rear O2 delete on it at least (No pre-cats, no CEL). I'm guessing since the 03 A6 has immo, the Allroad won't like the immo ID in the A6 file. Are there any other solutions for a BEL engine? I don't think they were ever put in S4s.

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get to work (where I left my VCDS cable) and try it out tomorrow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: