Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Android solution with Nefmoto software?  (Read 31261 times)
jibberjive

« on: April 16, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

Any possibility of using this to hook up the OBDll cable to an Android phone, and use a Windows 7 emulator or something (I don't even know if this exists) to flash tunes from our phone?

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Female-Male-Adaptor/dp/B0023FTRUO

I wouldn't tune this way, but it would be awesome to be able to flash when you're out and about without having to carry a laptop around.  Thoughts?
jibberjive

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:34:07 AM »

And Tony, any idea if the bluetooth OBDll adapters they have for the android have the hardware necessary to flash from your program?  And are you considering any mobile device support? THAT would be awesome.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »

Tony,
I would be all over this... maybe it could be a feature included with your premium software down the road.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »

All of the NefMoto software is written in .NET. I would need to rewrite it in C or Java to run on Android. It is at the back of my mind, but I want to get the desktop software to a place I am happy with first.

If I were to support Android I would use the Bluetooth ELM OBD2 dongles. They can't support the high baud rates that the USB cables can, but they are fairly standard and cheap.

Currently there is no way to get the NefMoto software to run on anything but Windows in it's current form.

PS: I own an Android Galaxy S phone, so if I ever support a mobile version if will be on Android.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

All of the NefMoto software is written in .NET. I would need to rewrite it in C or Java to run on Android.

Pssssst.. put up on github and i'll help Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »

I'm all about Android as I'm a huge Android whore.  I can probably supply some test devices if necessary Smiley
julex

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »

Call me "thick" but what's the point?

You'd still need to tune on a PC after all as well as do all the other stuff. All the other appz run on PC hardware only as well, like VCDS, EcuX, TunerPro etc... since you need so much software which needs to be mobile to be useful, you already have a laptop/netbook/whatever platform.

I'd rather see Tony thinking if innovative features instead of wasting time re-writing for Android/etc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:04:39 AM by julex » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

would be nice to be able to see what your car is doing if you don't have a laptop handy Smiley

also, portable code is always good.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »

I can definitely see things like simple data logging, checking error codes, and flashing ECUs or switching tunes using a mobile device. To maintain the most compatibility with existing mobile hardware I think everything should be designed around an ELM bluetooth dongle. That way the ELM hardware can handle all of the low level communication protocol timings so that the mobile device doesn't have to deal with it. ELM devices only support baud rates up to 10400 I believe, which is super slow compared to the baud rates we can do with the FTDI USB cables. Just try flashing in the NefMoto software using the 10400 baud rate instead of the maximum baud rate and see how long it takes.

iOS can be programmed in C and Objective C. Android can be programmed in Java and C. You can also use some third party middleware to run .NET on Android and iOS.

The current NefMoto software uses a bunch of fancy features in .NET like asynchronous delegates, so it is necessarily a direct port from .NET to any other language.

The plan in my mind at the moment, is to isolate the FTDI USB interfaces in my code, provide additional support for RS232 serial cables, and ELM based cables. At that point the code will hopefully be modular enough to consider rewriting some of the lower level systems in straight C and just have .NET sitting on top.

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
jibberjive

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »

Call me "thick" but what's the point?

You'd still need to tune on a PC after all as well as do all the other stuff. All the other appz run on PC hardware only as well, like VCDS, EcuX, TunerPro etc... since you need so much software which needs to be mobile to be useful, you already have a laptop/netbook/whatever platform.

I'd rather see Tony thinking if innovative features instead of wasting time re-writing for Android/etc.

I see your point, and I already do have a laptop (16" with intel i5 CPU and 8gb ram) that I'll tune off of, but having tune switching capability on the phone would serve the purpose that the old GIAC flashloaders did, you could swap tunes on the fly without having to always have your laptop in the car.  It would be a great help for me, because I'm going to have at least 4 different tunes (91 oct, 91 oct with nitrous, E85 and E85 with nitrous).  It would suck to have to have either my laptop always, or 4 ECU's to be able to switch between programs.

On the other hand though, I just bought a netbook with Windows 7 that I'm going to keep in the car, so I don't know how much that'll really help me personally now ha.  And you can get ASUS Aspire One's on ebay with windows 7 starter for $100-150, so it's not a big investment for anyone to keep in their car to have for mobile logging/map switching.

And I agree, that I'd rather see more functionality, like a tuning GUI (like Maestro), than Android capability, since we know how limited your time is, Tony.
julex

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 06:58:27 AM »

Quote from: jibberjive

... but having tune switching capability on the phone would serve the purpose that the old GIAC flashloaders did...

I dig that!
dan

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I think a mobile tuning solution would be great, but I'd prefer switching like APR.  That said, you can find an Asus EEE refurb for ~$150 if you shop around.  They are durable and fast enough, but cheap and small enough to keep in the car.  In fact I think the smaller ones  (700/900 series) might even fit in the glovebox.
jibberjive

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I think a mobile tuning solution would be great, but I'd prefer switching like APR.  That said, you can find an Asus EEE refurb for ~$150 if you shop around.  They are durable and fast enough, but cheap and small enough to keep in the car.  In fact I think the smaller ones  (700/900 series) might even fit in the glovebox.
Yup, I'm keeping a 10" Acer in the car at all times.  Have people figured out how to do the APR cruise control stalk switching yet?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

I know where the cruise control button values are stored in RAM, and I have a plan on how to implement map switching, which should also allow for real-time tuning.

It's coming, I promise, one day.  Cheesy

RaraK

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

I know where the cruise control button values are stored in RAM, and I have a plan on how to implement map switching, which should also allow for real-time tuning.

It's coming, I promise, one day.  Cheesy

Messed with the "generic" elm bluetooth dongle from ebay, works well, started some basic com's on the bench with my evo 4g phone, moving on to some canbus in a week or so.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: