Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26
Author Topic: MED 9.1 basics  (Read 291118 times)
Basano

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »

Hello guys,

I’ve increased Q2 and logged again. Initial overshoot is still there.

ECUxPlot is a very nice utility! Very impressive Smiley

To keep it simple, here is just the P, I and D contributions and the WGDC.

From what I can make out, the WGDC does indeed drop off as actual boost approaches specified boost due to the negative contribution of Q2 (WGDC = I – D) So far, so good.

However, once actual boost exceeds specified boost, then D is switched off and no longer lends its negative contribution to the equation (WGDC = I only) and the WGDC shoots up again before gradually ramping down. At this point, I can see why reducing KFLDIMX would reduce the WGDC - you're limiting the I.

Bit puzzled on what to try next Huh Larger negative contribution from D (increase Q2)? Or limit the I contribution (by reducing KFLDIMX)? Perhaps a mixture of the two  Undecided

As an aside, I’ve noticed that actual pressure pvdkds_w maxes out at 2560 mbar. This is using my ram logger to log. But when I used VCDS to log, I got readings for actual pressure of 2620 mbar. What variable is VCDS looking at if pvdkds_w is maxed at 2560 mbar?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »

Nope, you've got it right! pull imx down till it is closer to what you want your steady state I to be.

Also, you might want to change your X axis to rpm when plotting.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Basano

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:13 AM »

Hi nyet,

Thank you. I appreciate you sticking with this through the five pages of this thread Wink I think I’m moving in the right direction now. KFLDIMX is decreased (I copied the values at row hPa = 1000 to rows hPa = 1200 and hPa = 1500) and I think it looks a lot better. In summary:

1)   I’m using a file where I’ve already increased LDRXN, KFMIRL, KFMIOP and LDPBN.
2)   Originally my initial boost overshoot was hitting (and passing) the limit of 2560 mbar in pvdkds_w. With these latest changes to KFLDIMX and KFLDRQ2 I don’t spike through the limit anymore  Grin
3)   I logged a drive where I go WOT at 2000rpm, 3000rpm and 4000rpm. I wanted to check that I hadn’t just ironed out one place in the rpm range (like I did a few pages ago). I think it looks OK!
4)   Picture and log attached. The log includes all the variables (P, I, D, WGDC etc) but I've only shown rpm, actual boost and specified boost on the picture to keep it simple. I used time on the x-axis for this particular picture since using rpm made it look very strange indeed  Shocked
5)   Bin also attached for those curious.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »

again if you use rpm as xaxis you can overlay those runs, but it has to be labled "EngineSpeed"
you'll have to use the proper aliases so ecuxplot knows which is which. see the ME7L aliases file for more info (defs/me7_alias.map)

in any case, you'll want rpm as x axis because when tuning you generally need to know rpm.

If stuff doesn't look right, you need to use the filter properly (log pedal position and throttle plate angle, and possibly gear), and make sure you have the right aliases so ecuxplot knows what to look for.

Also, that is still quite a bit of overboost...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:37:24 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Basano

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

I reduced KFLDIMX even further. In fact, at one point I had it so low that actual was not meeting specified so I increased it a bit.

How’s this one? WOT pull from 2000rpm. Actual boost overshoots specified boost by 67mbar maximum.

Got some other observations I will post up once I've got them clear in my mind Undecided

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:55:00 AM by Basano » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

VERY NICE work sir!

D might be a bit agressive now, it is coming on a bit early... might want to delay it a bit since you have a bit of undershoot.. but imo that is safe, and actually makes for a better track car.

if you want max accel (best fats or strip ET), you might want a bit of overshoot initially..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:16:08 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Basano

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »

VERY NICE work sir!

Thank you very much, but it's your help that got me here!

I wish there was a utility like ME7Logger for MED9.1 (perhaps MED9Logger?) Manually digging out the ram variables (with my pitiful knowledge of PowerPC assembly) is really time consuming Sad I then have to add them to my home made ram logger (which I have to recompile everytime I change something and I hardcoded the memory addresses...) and massage the output into something that looks like a csv. You get the idea, it's a pain.

I'd really like to try some of the other features of ECUxPlot - Compressor Map intrigued me! What variables could I log to see the output of that?

I had to be really agressive with my changes to KFLDIMX. In fact, I honestly don't know how the factory set it up to begin with. My car certainly had an overshoot even with the stock map. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else with the 2.0 TFSI 265bhp engine about what their experience has been?

On one of my iterations of KFLDIMX, I had the values so low that actual boost never exceeded specified boost. It got very close, but never crossed over. In this scenario I noticed that D never switched off.

if you want max accel (best fats or strip ET), you might want a bit of overshoot initially..

What is fats or strip ET Huh You'd be suprised what google thought it might be, but somehow I don't think that's what you meant Wink

I'll look at the undershoot. Likely I can adjust that by setting the penultimate row of KFLDRQ2 back to stock, leaving the changes in just the last row.

Much appreciated!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »

I then have to add them to my home made ram logger (which I have to recompile everytime I change something and I hardcoded the memory addresses...) and massage the output into something that looks like a csv. You get the idea, it's a pain.

Sounds like your program just needs a bit of UI polish, where you can feed it something like the ME7L definition files.. Smiley

I'd really like to try some of the other features of ECUxPlot - Compressor Map intrigued me! What variables could I log to see the output of that?

IIRC you just need boost pressure and MAF

What is fats or strip ET Huh

Heh. sorry.

FATS is a 2.7t term for time to from 4200 to 6500 RPMs in 3rd gear. Generally used to compare 6sp s4s to each other. every non-s4 6sp tranny is different, of course, so it isn't a useful benchmark to compare differing cars.

strip ET is "1/4 mile drag strip elapsed time"

ECUx Plot

ddillenger

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

Does anyone know how setzi's logger parses the ram addresses?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Basano

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »

Hello all,

I’d really appreciate your opinions and advice on MED9.1 fuelling.

I’ve logged these values and graphed them for your pleasure in ECUxPlot Grin

lamsoni_w (AirFuelRatioCurrent)
lamsbg_w (AirFuelRatioDesired)
lambts_w (LambdaPartProtection)
lamfa_w (TargetAFRDriverRequest)

I can see that Desired AFR starts by following Driver Requested AFR and then switches to follow Part Protection AFR. Actual AFR tracks Desired AFR closely. That’s very clear in the log. If anyone thinks it’ll help, I could also try and pull out DLAMBTS to get the Knock AFR contribution?

What I’d like to understand is just how rich is rich? I’m touching values of 0.71 at the end of the WOT pull. Should I be trying to go a bit leaner? I know my fuelling at this point is BTS fuelling and whilst I don’t want to melt anything, does it need to be this rich Huh

Log attached (containing boost, load, EGT, fuelling, MAF etc. No Timing (yet) since I still have to dig out those ram locations). I’ve only shown fuelling in the graph, but the rest is all there in case you are curious enough to look at EGT and the like.

As always, comments much appreciated
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 03:16:49 AM »

sorry for the offtopic  but how did you manage to log these variables on a MED9 ? !?  Huh

VAG cars newbie tuner Smiley
technic

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

sorry for the offtopic  but how did you manage to log these variables on a MED9 ? !?  Huh
+1 !
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »

What I’d like to understand is just how rich is rich? I’m touching values of 0.71 at the end of the WOT pull. Should I be trying to go a bit leaner? I know my fuelling at this point is BTS fuelling and whilst I don’t want to melt anything, does it need to be this rich Huh

I run 11.5 (0.78) from boost peak to redline using LAMFA.

ECUx Plot

fredrik_a

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »

What I’d like to understand is just how rich is rich? I’m touching values of 0.71

That is really super duper rich and you will loose quite a bit of power with that. Why so rich? To prevent knock? Retard ignition then. To decrease EGT? Re-think your hardware setup if it is running really hot.  Wink
oldcarguy85

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

I run 11.5 (0.78) from boost peak to redline using LAMFA.

Are u using lamfa on med9.1? It seems the BTS threshold is very low on med9.1, so I guess you'd need to raise the bts threshold to get it to use lamfa, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: