Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reading/Flashing Immobilizer Info  (Read 21822 times)
SteveAR

« on: May 25, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

2004 Audi Allroad
2.7T 6MT
ME 7.1.1
ECU part # 4Z7 907 551 S

Anyone know if it’s possible/safe to read the small IC on the ECU without removing it from the back of the PCB? (I will call this the “immobilizer IC” even though I’m sure it contains other info)    I know in some cases a chip clip can be
used and the IC can be read with a programmer and in other cases trying to power up the IC with it attached to the PCB can cause issues.

The small IC on the BACK is what I understand to contain immobilizer information etc. (please correct me if I’m wrong)

I’d like to buy a used ECU and set it up as a spare.  Probably from EBAY and most likely  I WON’T get the security PIN with the ECU.  I would like to read the entire “main” program from my functioning ECU (which should be the easy part with the software from this website) but I will also have to get immobilizer (etc) info onto the spare as well.  

I have several microchip programmers at home and access to many more at work so if this is the easiest route I have the hardware covered.

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:12:24 PM by nyet » Logged
DJGonzo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

Absolutely no flashing Immo info via OBD.

You can only read partial RAM info.
SteveAR

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »

Can anyone else read my entire post? I only see the first few lines.....

Anyway, understood about no direct flashing of the IMMO info which is why I'm trying to do it "manually" by reading the IC with a programmer directly attached to the IC, not through the OBD port.
  I don't know how else a person would get a used ECU working for them without going this route.  (short of taking it to a dealer I suppose)
SteveAR

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

OK i fixed my first post.  Somehow most of what I wrote didn't get posted......
DJGonzo
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »

You will need a clip and a programmer. Seems like you have one so all you need now is a clip Smiley
SteveAR

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

Smiley I was hoping to find someone who's done it before.  I was googling the topic a while back and found someone who said that powering up the IC (via the programmer) to read the info off of it can be problematic with it still being connected to other circuits on the PCB. especially since some IC's require a higher voltage be applied to certain pins during reading/programming than during normal operation.  IIRC, this person was talking about adding diodes or resistors etc. Don't know if they were working with the same ECU as me, but I don't want to damage my perfectly functioning ECU!  Trying to be cautious
phila_dot

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

I am unfamiliar with Allroad specific immobilizer information, but is there a reason that you can't simply mate the new ECU vice cloning the old one? The procedure seems fairly simple. What version of immo is it?
SteveAR

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »

It is IMMO 3.  To the best of my understanding the IMMO info (and maybe other data) is stored on a small (8 pin?) PROM on the back side of the ECU PCB.  It is independent of the main flash where the bulk of the software goes. (engine tune etc.)     So doing a clone I believe only copies the data from the main PROM, not the IMMO prom.    I believe a program called VAG COMMANDER may be able to copy/flash the small IMMO prom however it's expensive and I don't want to use a warez version.  I'd rather attach this from a hardware perspective (reading/flashing chip directly) than use hacked software.
phila_dot

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »

You could try this, but it would require assistance from the dealership, or you would need to obtain your SKC's on your own. I am not sure of the requirements for the workshop code, date and importer.

Immobilizer 3 ECU swapping

Immobilizer III:

Some 2001+ Volkswagen/Audi vehicles have Immobilizer III. This works similarly to Immobilizer II, except a secret key code (SKC) is required in order to perform the adaptation routine. The routine changes depending on whether you are using a BRAND NEW ECU that has never been in any other car, or if you are using a USED ECU that has been previously matched to another car.

Immo-3 knows your car's VIN. Access 17-Instruments (or separate 25-Immobilizer on vehicles that are set up that way) and look at the first "Extra" field.

If you see something like: "Immo-ID VWZ7Z0W0648696"  You've got Immo-2 (or maybe even Immo-1 in earlier non-US models).

If you see something like "WVZKB58001H231169 VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got
Immo-3. The first 17-digit string is the VIN. The second 14-digit string in the Immo-ID.

There are different procedures for installing a new ECU or a usedECU.

NEW:

Before Installing a  BRAND NEW ECU in vehicle, get the ECM coding from the old ECU in the vehicle
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
Write down the 5-digit Soft. Coding
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

[17 - Instruments]
Write down the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number from the "Extra" field

Take that 14-digit Immobilizer ID number (along with your VIN number) to your dealer and request your seven-digit SKC, along with the workshop code and importer number (all this information can be found in the upper-right corner of the Administration screen of the dealer's VAS 5051).

Install new ECU in the vehicle.

Measure the car's battery voltage, it must be 12.5 V or higher.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter "50" in Channel Number
[Read]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN, Date on which the PIN was GENERATED BY THE DEALER, along with the dealer's Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number
[OK]

VCDS will validate the data you have entered and return you to the Adaptation screen, where the New Value will show as "XXXXX".
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]

Verify that the VIN now displayed in the "Extra" field matches the VIN on the vehicle code from dealer
[Go Back]
[Exit]

Turn ignition OFF and then back on within one minute, but do not start vehicle for two minutes
After 2 minutes, start the vehicle

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
Verify that the 5-digit Soft. Coding matches the coding from the old ECU

[Fault Codes - 02]
Clear all DTC's.

USED:

Before Installing a  USED ECU (we'll call it ECU #2) in vehicle, get the ECM coding from the current ECU (we'll call it ECU #1) in the vehicle
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
Write down the 5-digit Soft. Coding

Install the  USED ECU (ECU #2) in vehicle, (the Immobilizer light will be flashing, that's okay for now)
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
Write down the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number from the "Extra" field. This the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number for ECU#2.

[17 - Instruments]
Write down the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number from the "Extra" field. This the 14 digit Immobilizer ID number for ECU#1.

Bring both 14-digit ID numbers to your dealer and request both your seven-digit SKC's
Keep track of the SKC for ECU#1 and the SKC for the ECU#2, as well as the Date on which each SKC was GENERATED BY THE DEALER, along with the dealer's Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number. 

Measure the car's battery voltage, it must be 12.5 V or higher.

With the  USED ECU (ECU #2) in vehicle, (the Immobilizer light will be flashing, that's okay for now)
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN from ECU #2, Date on which the PIN was GENERATED BY THE DEALER, along with the dealer's Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number
[OK]
[Do-It!]
(You just "introduced" yourself to ECU#2 and the ECU should listen to you since you knew how to login. The ECU is now ready to learn its new home.)

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 50 in Channel Number
[Read]
[Use 7-digit PIN/SKC]
Enter the 7-digit PIN from ECU#1, Date on which the PIN was GENERATED BY THE DEALER, along with the dealer's Workshop Code (WSC) and the Importer number
[OK]
[Test]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
(You just told ECU#2 that it has a new home, and that it should make friends with the Instrument Cluster.)

Verify that the VIN now displayed in the "Extra" field in the Engine matches matches the VIN now displayed in the "Extra" field in the Instrument Cluster controller.

Turn ignition OFF and then back on within one minute, but do not start vehicle for two minutes
After 2 minutes, start the vehicle

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
Verify that the 5-digit Soft. Coding matches the coding from the old ECU

[Fault Codes - 02]
Clear all DTC's.

phila_dot

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »

I apologize if I am taking your thread in a different direction than you intended. It sounds like you already have the resources to clone the EEPROM, but I don't know about the power issues you are asking about. Just trying to offer alternatives.
SteveAR

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »

no problem, I welcome anyones feedback.  You never know what you can learn just by opening up the discussion. In regards to what you posted, Yes this is actually from the VCDS (VAG-COM by ross-tech) website/instructions.   You're right, the key there is you need the IMMO PIN or KEY for EACH ECU/system.  I have the PIN for my car, but if I were to buy a used ECU,  I wouldn't have the PIN for that one and there's no way for me to extract it without using cracked software or dropping a boat load of money for a legal copy of the software.

That's why I was hoping to just do a hard copy/flash of the IC directly instead of trying to access the necessary info through software.    Unfortunately in all the EBAY searching I've done I cannot remember ever seeing a used ECU advertised WITH the immobilizer PIN known/included.
 Undecided
ramiretz

vag-diesel pro tuner

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »

hello

with the vagdash  - vag ecu tool....

u can read and write the eeprom... and also disable the immo with 1 click....

u can find this tool on ebay and some china clone stores.....

carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »

I wouldn't have the PIN for that one and there's no way for me to extract it without using cracked software or dropping a boat load of money for a legal copy of the software.

Sorry if this is extraneous as I haven't read the whole thread, but any tool that allows you to read the EEPROM also allows you to know the SKC.

Monoscan allegedly can read the EEPROM range required and it's free, although I haven't tried this myself so it could be a dead end.

How the pin is stored is discussed here http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,300.msg1913.html#msg1913

Also, not sure if the ME7 will allow reads over OBD if it hasn't paired with the cluster. If you have time on your hands it might be worth a shot.
RaraK

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »

Yes once you get the read, SKC is right there, then pair them per VW's method.

just FYI, i have done over 50 immo defeats with a SOIC8 clip and a willem, just pull ecu apart, flip it, attach clip and go.  Takes about 2-3 seconds to read, and write.  Never once did i have an issue with this method.

soic 8 clip that i use is available at mcumall.com as well as the willem i use.  had it for a while, never failed once
vtraudt

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »

Somewhat unrelated:
I want to install a spare instrument cluster (used, no immo, no nothing available) in my 2002 AR (Immo3).

I figure there MUST be a way (even considering a trip to the dealer) to get another instrument cluster to work with my car? If how: how?

2002 Allroad 2.7T 6spd stage 2
1998 A4 1.8T 5spd stage 3
1996 A4 2.8 auto stock
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: