Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: KFMIOP, KFMIRL, LDRXN - Clarification  (Read 48546 times)
spacey3

« on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »

Hello all, one of my first posts here but I think I have done a lot of reading before hand so just looking for some clarification.

I can't find (easily, in layman terms) the relation between KFMIOP, KFMIRL and LDRXN.

I know they all affect each other and I think I've figured it out but would like to confirm. Below are my thoughts...

LDRXN - this is the absolute maximum, regardless what the other tables are set at, the boost (load) will not exceed this.

KFMIRL - this is possible requested load.

KFMIOP - this is the actual requested load from the driver as such. It appears to be a percentage.

So it goes like this example...

KFMIOP requests 92% (based on driver requested load/pedal pressure/something) of KFMIRL (210 / 100 * 92) = 193.2 which can be capped by LDRXN in the end.

So if LDRXN is set to a crazy number like 240, then still the max will be 193.2 = ~1.2bar (193.2 + 30 * 10), not taking into account any overboost/hardware issues on the car.

If we want more than 1.2bar then KFMIOP and/or KFMIRL need to be adjusted accordingly, another example...

KFMIOP requests 100% (based on driver requested load/pedal pressure/something) of KFMIRL = 210 which can be capped by LDRXN in the end. The max possible here would then be 210 rather than 193 (if LDRXN allows for this).

Am I on the right track?  Smiley
AARDQ

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »

Don't forget KFLDHBN, pressure ratio limitation.  Often the limiting factor.
turdburglar44

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »

Kfmiop is the inverse of kfmirl. It is used for torque monitoring.

Kfped = requested torque %
Kfmirl takes the value from kfped and turns it into a requested torque value.
Kfmiop is used to monitor that value and should always be the inverse of kfmirl. Ie; @50%  kfmirl = 100 ---> @100 Kfmiop = 50%.

Me personally I use kfldhbn to limit my load. I set ldrxn to the highest load value I've tuned the car at. This way if I were to go down in altitude I wouldn't push the engine into higher untuned loads.

Tuning is the easy part...
spacey3

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »

I see, great, cheers guys!  Grin

I'll look into how best to be using KFLDHBN
BDIX727

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »

Kfmiop is the inverse of kfmirl. It is used for torque monitoring.

Kfped = requested torque %
Kfmirl takes the value from kfped and turns it into a requested torque value.
Kfmiop is used to monitor that value and should always be the inverse of kfmirl. Ie; @50%  kfmirl = 100 ---> @100 Kfmiop = 50%.

Me personally I use kfldhbn to limit my load. I set ldrxn to the highest load value I've tuned the car at. This way if I were to go down in altitude I wouldn't push the engine into higher untuned loads.

Ugh... Wat

That's way off. The purpose of kfmiop is not at all related to torque monitoring. If there's serious errors within kfmiop, there will be torque monitoring conditions met but kfmiop's job isn't too detect it. The purpose of kfmiop is to take a torque % and make it relative to load.

As far as using kfldhbn for a load cap, it doesn't cap load. It caps absolute pressure and doesn't care what altitude you're at. If you want to adjust how the ecu reacts to altitude changes look at BGPLGU module. There's also considerations for elevation specifically in LDRLMX. The ecu wasn't designed to use kfmirl as a load cap, that isn't it's purpose but if one were to use it that way, then I suppose moving ldrxn out of the way would work.
BDIX727

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »

Hello all, one of my first posts here but I think I have done a lot of reading before hand so just looking for some clarification.

I can't find (easily, in layman terms) the relation between KFMIOP, KFMIRL and LDRXN.

I know they all affect each other and I think I've figured it out but would like to confirm. Below are my thoughts...

LDRXN - this is the absolute maximum, regardless what the other tables are set at, the boost (load) will not exceed this.

KFMIRL - this is possible requested load.

KFMIOP - this is the actual requested load from the driver as such. It appears to be a percentage.

So it goes like this example...

KFMIOP requests 92% (based on driver requested load/pedal pressure/something) of KFMIRL (210 / 100 * 92) = 193.2 which can be capped by LDRXN in the end.

So if LDRXN is set to a crazy number like 240, then still the max will be 193.2 = ~1.2bar (193.2 + 30 * 10), not taking into account any overboost/hardware issues on the car.

If we want more than 1.2bar then KFMIOP and/or KFMIRL need to be adjusted accordingly, another example...

KFMIOP requests 100% (based on driver requested load/pedal pressure/something) of KFMIRL = 210 which can be capped by LDRXN in the end. The max possible here would then be 210 rather than 193 (if LDRXN allows for this).

Am I on the right track?  Smiley

Yes, you're on the right track.

Do not try to think of load % as boost pressure. It's cylinder filling. There's no one formula to try to relate load % to a given boost pressure because it changes depending engine to engine basis. There's also a map to scale plsol relative to load and it's far from a linear relationship.

Trying to relate kfmirl to kfmiop by making it a literal mathematical inverse is a no go. It's the relationship between torque and load so the ecu can determine X% load = Y% torque.
phila_dot

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »

Ugh... Wat

That's way off. The purpose of kfmiop is not at all related to torque monitoring. If there's serious errors within kfmiop, there will be torque monitoring conditions met but kfmiop's job isn't too detect it. The purpose of kfmiop is to take a torque % and make it relative to load.

As far as using kfldhbn for a load cap, it doesn't cap load. It caps absolute pressure and doesn't care what altitude you're at. If you want to adjust how the ecu reacts to altitude changes look at BGPLGU module. There's also considerations for elevation specifically in LDRLMX. The ecu wasn't designed to use kfmirl as a load cap, that isn't it's purpose but if one were to use it that way, then I suppose moving ldrxn out of the way would work.

KFMIOP takes the max permissable load and translates it to max permissible torque. If this max torque allows desired torque to be too high, then torque intervention will be triggered. It is also used to calculate indicated torque from current load, which again, if too high will trigger torque intervention and corrected to optimum torque for other forms of intervention.

You are also all wrong about KFLDHBN. This map defines the max permissible pressure ratio, but is then multiplied by ambient pressure giving an absolute pressure. So yes, altitude is definitely a factor here. This absolute pressure is then translated to load and used to limit the max permissible load.

LDRXN is max DESIRED load, but desired load can exceed this because there are corrections that can raise the desired load limit. Also, actual load can exceed desired load.

KFMIRL is desired load, it is limited by the max desired load from %LDRLMX

KFMIOP translates load, actual and max desired, to a torque value for use in the torque model

Yes, you're on the right track.

Do not try to think of load % as boost pressure. It's cylinder filling. There's no one formula to try to relate load % to a given boost pressure because it changes depending engine to engine basis. There's also a map to scale plsol relative to load and it's far from a linear relationship.

Trying to relate kfmirl to kfmiop by making it a literal mathematical inverse is a no go. It's the relationship between torque and load so the ecu can determine X% load = Y% torque.

This is correct for the most part, when you see inverse in the FR, it is an inverse relationship i.e. torque to load, load to torque or air mass to throttle angle, throttle angle to air mass.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »

I understand his position, though. Tuning the load limit via HBN does make more sense in some ways than LDRXN.

Firstly, like, he says, altitude.

Secondly, all the random corrections to LDRXN don't affect HBN limited boost, since the main correction (fupsrl) is applied to generate load, then again to generate boost again, so IAT corrections cancel themselves out ...

Same with many of the silly VVT based corrections...

I tune max boost via LDRXN out of habit, but I may try HBN on my next tune.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
phila_dot

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »

Why does everyone act like it's one or the other?

Everything works together
phila_dot

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »

Aaaannnnd...

If you max LDRXN and strictly use KFLDHBN, then you lose valuable load limitations from some of the silly corrections.

Also, vvt correction is not avoided by using only KFLDHBN. That correction is applied during the desired load to target pressure conversion well after %LDRLMX.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »

Aaaannnnd...

If you max LDRXN and strictly use KFLDHBN, then you lose valuable load limitations from some of the silly corrections.

Depends on what load limitations are more important to you. For stock, since there is a ton of headroom in the boost, the IAT corrections make sense.. higher temps, more boost to keep the driver experience consistent... but running near the compressor limits is more common in tuned files, so HBN makes more sense as the "usual" limiter. That said, get hot enough, you still want LDRXN to intervene via KFTARX.. but in this case, REDUCE requested boost on high IAT, and maybe even increase requested boost on low IAT.

That is to say, stock, generally LDRXN limits boost more often than HBN... but IMO that approach does not make sense if you want to run at or near the compressor map limits.

In a performance based tune, you may want the opposite. It obviously isn't about choosing one or the other (absolutely), and never using the other.

Also, vvt correction is not avoided by using only KFLDHBN. That correction is applied during the desired load to target pressure conversion well after %LDRLMX.

IIRC VVT correction (like IAT correction) is in fupsrl, which cancels itself out in the HBN->load->boost path.

I could be wrong.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
phila_dot

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

KFTARX isn't the only correction KFLDHBN bypasses. You would also be bypassing interventions based on ignition retard and coolant temp.

No, vvt correction is applied seperately in %FUEDK as desired load is converted desired manifold pressure. KFLDHBN limits desired load, so it is still subject to the correction. Also, fupsrl_w is the factor that converts load to pressure and vice versa, including when KFLDHBN is converted to load.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »

KFTARX isn't the only correction KFLDHBN bypasses. You would also be bypassing interventions based on ignition retard and coolant temp.

No, vvt correction is applied seperately in %FUEDK as desired load is converted desired manifold pressure. KFLDHBN limits desired load, so it is still subject to the correction. Also, fupsrl_w is the factor that converts load to pressure and vice versa, including when KFLDHBN is converted to load.

IIRC fupsrl is used to convert HBN to desired load limit... then back again.. so any corrections in fupsrl (VE, including VVT corrections) get canceled out. Lets put it this way: why should VE be relevant to compressor limits?

If vvt correstions aren't in fupsrl, then you are right, of course.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:25:41 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

BDIX727

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »

How is what you're saying about kfmiop any different than what I said? Although kfmiop is not at all set to be taken as a maximum. There's a KL that caps KFMIOP. Regardless, the point I was making is that kfmiop's function isn't torque monitoring.

If you want to take elevation into account, kfldhbn isn't the optimal way of doing it.

KFMIOP takes the max permissable load and translates it to max permissible torque. If this max torque allows desired torque to be too high, then torque intervention will be triggered. It is also used to calculate indicated torque from current load, which again, if too high will trigger torque intervention and corrected to optimum torque for other forms of intervention.

You are also all wrong about KFLDHBN. This map defines the max permissible pressure ratio, but is then multiplied by ambient pressure giving an absolute pressure. So yes, altitude is definitely a factor here. This absolute pressure is then translated to load and used to limit the max permissible load.

LDRXN is max DESIRED load, but desired load can exceed this because there are corrections that can raise the desired load limit. Also, actual load can exceed desired load.

KFMIRL is desired load, it is limited by the max desired load from %LDRLMX

KFMIOP translates load, actual and max desired, to a torque value for use in the torque model

This is correct for the most part, when you see inverse in the FR, it is an inverse relationship i.e. torque to load, load to torque or air mass to throttle angle, throttle angle to air mass.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »

If you want to take elevation into account, kfldhbn isn't the optimal way of doing it.

I don't know of any other ways to limit req load (or boost) dependent on ambient pressure... please elaborate?

Also, this isn't outlook. Ditch the top replies ;P

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: