Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Disable ASR but keep ABS  (Read 123400 times)
turboat

« on: December 28, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »

ESP is annoying me a lot in the snow and mud, so I decided to code it out. This is on a 2001 euro A6 running M-box, I wanted to change it to 10612 (Euro 3, no ESP/ASR, 6mt, A6) but the M-box would not take it, it would only take 06611.

However, this gives an 'incorrect control module coding' message, presumably because its coded to A4 not A6. Im guessing I need to flash an A6 map back onto it before I can recode it as an A6, the question is will this error cause any issues if I ignore it for a few hundred miles? I'd rather not flash a different map on right now, as I dont have access to boot mode and being stranded would be rather awkward.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »

ESP is annoying me a lot in the snow and mud, so I decided to code it out. This is on a 2001 euro A6 running M-box, I wanted to change it to 10612 (Euro 3, no ESP/ASR, 6mt, A6) but the M-box would not take it, it would only take 06611.

However, this gives an 'incorrect control module coding' message, presumably because its coded to A4 not A6. Im guessing I need to flash an A6 map back onto it before I can recode it as an A6, the question is will this error cause any issues if I ignore it for a few hundred miles? I'd rather not flash a different map on right now, as I dont have access to boot mode and being stranded would be rather awkward.

You can remove the error by changing CW_CAN_R.

It won't cause any issues.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
turboat

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

Cheers dd, I'll ignore it until I'm home and fix it then  Smiley
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

Cheers dd, I'll ignore it until I'm home and fix it then  Smiley

Also, M-box coding options are

The only digits that matter are transmission and brakes, as obviously they configure the can-bus. I don't think you're going to have much luck coding 06611 to remove ESP however.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
turboat

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »

06611 has successfully disabled esp, but unfortunately also the abs (interestingly the pedal feel is a load nicer now). I was assuming it was the a4/a6 coding that was upsetting it, I'll try 06711 today and see if it fixes the brakes.

I'll have to do some more reading on cw_can_r if I can use that to kill esp but leave the abs active.
byzan a4

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:06:29 AM »

Be careful the abs takes care of front-rear bias  . It can be interesting. .. lol
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »

PSA: DO NOT DO THIS ON THE TRACK (the simple recoding)

No, really, you have been warned.

I've been searching for a no ESP/EDL but with ABS solution for a long time (other than the #42 fuse thing), and as far as i know, coding isn't it..

I'm pretty sure you can't do it with CAN_R either, but if you can figure it out, that would be awesome.

The only known good fix I know of is using a pre-ESP module and retrofitting the harness... a ton of work it seems.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:15:39 AM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
turboat

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »

Because Im more likely to notice the lack of brake balance on track?

Shame there isnt an easy fix to keep ABS but loose the ESP, the torque intervention has been driving me nuts on wet roads and the inability to do huge powerslides and donuts on the ice is just not acceptable, I put up with 23mpg for a reason!

stuklr

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:24:35 AM »

Pulling fuse #42 is the power supply for the steering angle sensor. It sets an auto clearing fault in ABS that kills ESP, but not ABS. I have to do this in my allroad because if you delete the air suspension, ESP cannot be deactivated above 40mph. I wired up a switch and inline fuse holder to the 42 position. As a side effect though it seems to mess with brake bias. Be warned though, in the snow, it seems to want to lock the rear brakes easier.
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:15 AM »

Has anyone tried to recode the ABS module?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
stuklr

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »

I have tried to recode to just an A6 and it wont accept it. Don't know about the S4's
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »

I have tried to recode an older version (1995 t4 synchro) and even had contact with my VW dealer to look up coding variants. It turned out most abs modules will not accept other than factory coding since it is not included in the controller software.

ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »

I have tried to recode to just an A6 and it wont accept it. Don't know about the S4's

Did you login first? Are you familiar with the hell that is recoding Bosch ABS units? Sometimes I have to try 100x...

lol

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »

The correct way is to simply code out the ECU response to the torque reduce messages from ESP.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »

The correct way is to simply code out the ECU response to the torque reduce messages from ESP.

ASM patch related to B_asr? Or as simple as a map location?

CW_CAN_R bit 2?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:21:39 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: