Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
Author Topic: Logging ME7 fast and flexible => ME7Logger  (Read 464462 times)
julex

« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2011, 06:14:38 AM »

I am happy to report that the logger works for me superbly.

Zero issues, no time outs, nada. No issues with multiple reconnects without shutting car off like reported above. It must be A-box software/hardware isssue.

I am 02 A6 ECU with M-box S4 file on it, if that helps.

setzi62

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »

Found a little problem with it. When invoked the first time it logs fine. Keeping the ignition on and trying to start a new logging session does not initialize properly and logging does not start. Although it is not really a problem to turn the engine off and on, which makes it work fine again, I thought setzi would like to know.

My setup for this test was: .... Abox on MY2000 (late model) in which I had flashed the Abox file ending in 345 (from the stock ECU files of Nefmoto).

I can confirm that this is a software problem with the Abox image (both 0002 and 0003 are affected).
These ecu images don't re-initialize some variables when a new K-Line connection is set up.
I think about how to implement a workaround.
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »

Just looked at my first logging data that I acquired a day ago with the ME7Logger. One word: fantastic.

Here is a request. Can we attach a thread to this that spits out data on a UDP socket? Or just have the main thread that does the recording drop the data to a UDP socket. I think we can make a graphical real-time plotting program that can work alongside the logger. By throwing data at a UDP socket, setzi does not have to release code and make this monolithic.

I can probably code that part on the linux side, which means it can probably be ported to Cygwin pretty easily. I do not think I can get away from X11 for the windowing aspect. someone with a strong Windows background may want to do this. Something to think about.

Audi S4 B5 2000 6sp Cactus Green
Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8T 2001.5 5sp Santorin Blue
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »

I agree. it would be fantastic.

Of course, if he released code, anybody could actually add this functionality as well.

Or at least if he released libraries and an api...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
julex

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »

UDP spit out would be great unless current "real time" output already writes to a file in real time and it could be read off immediately by graphing utility. Knowing windows though it is not guaranteed though.
j2mc

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

Right now i'm working on a simple bar gauge style display that will read the real time output of the log file...it will be slightly delayed and I'm still not sure how quickly I can read the log(so you may only get 2-5 updates per second), but better than nothing.

2.7t stg2
j2mc

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »

Here is what my gauge app looks like right now(see attached), it takes all the variables you are logging and asks you to set the minimums and maximums of each gauge.  I can't tell how fast it is updating right now, but it is looking like at least 20 times per second...but as the log file gets bigger it will slow down since it has to reopen the file everytime it updates.  Currently using 24% cpu and right around 1MB of memory.

I have a few more things to do along with some testing, then I would like to integrate this into the GUI I created...Might have it done this weekend but most likely it will be available Monday.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:48:10 PM by j2mc » Logged

2.7t stg2
iznogoud

Learning junkie

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »

Good work.

You certainly do not want to re-read the whole file all the time. Two ways of approaching it:

1) knowing the amount of data the files gets when it is written (each time) and assuming that it is always the same, you 'seek()" into the file and do your reads only of new data. This is _much_ faster than having to re-read it. You monitor the file for an updated state and you do the reading when it happens.

2. keep the file open and continue to read from where you left off. Again, you need monitoring of the file.

I wish I could tell you how to do this in Windows. If this were under Cygwin, I'd have a better chance.

Audi S4 B5 2000 6sp Cactus Green
Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.8T 2001.5 5sp Santorin Blue
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »

I wish I could tell you how to do this in Windows. If this were under Cygwin, I'd have a better chance.

is there an option to run the logger output to stdout?

i'm pretty sure windows can do the equivalent of popen()

let me guess, you can't make a named pipe in win7?

again, I'm a unix guy, so ... who knows.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
j2mc

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

Unfortunately I'm taking the cheap way out using autohotkey to do this, while it allows me to do this quick and easy(right now it's only about 20-30 lines total) i'm pretty limited on what I can do.  I'll do some longer tests this weekend and see how it runs, so far it doesn't look like it's going to be a problem(except maybe on old machines).

2.7t stg2
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »

I just read from the stdout.  Use the -R switch to invoke writing to stdout (it will still write the log file).
j2mc

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

Just wanted to be more specific for you:

1) I actually don't re-read the entire file each time, I open it, find the last line and read that, as the file gets bigger it might take slightly longer to find the last line(but from my tests we're talking microseconds).

2)I thought about that, but thought there is a possibility that my reads could be slower than the logger's writes..the reads could end up a few lines behind and get worse as time goes on.  If I just read the last line like i'm doing now I don't care if I missed a row of data here and there as long as what's displayed is current.

Good work.

You certainly do not want to re-read the whole file all the time. Two ways of approaching it:

1) knowing the amount of data the files gets when it is written (each time) and assuming that it is always the same, you 'seek()" into the file and do your reads only of new data. This is _much_ faster than having to re-read it. You monitor the file for an updated state and you do the reading when it happens.

2. keep the file open and continue to read from where you left off. Again, you need monitoring of the file.

2.7t stg2
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

Are you using .net?  If so it's easy to quickly and efficiently read the stdout with a StreamReader.
okkim

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03:02 AM »

Thanks for the great program!

I'm trying to find out the EGT enrichment variables, but no luck.  Those that are on block 112 on VCDS.

Does anyone know what those are?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »

Just a quick note to all the guys working on adding a GUI to this program.

I'm hopefully going to release the NefMoto data logger with a full graphical UI in the next week...

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: