Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I have a 2001 Jetta 06A906032DL Can't read ECU "disabled by aftrmrkt software.."  (Read 15411 times)
royce5950

My car is a 2001 1.8t Wolfsburg Jetta code: AWW... My exact ECU says 06A906032: 0006 Calibration Equiment Software Number: 0x80030000, System Supplier ECU Software Number: 0x3205...

I can't read my ECU flash memory... I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I get messages like

Validation failed, ECU reports RequestUpload service is not supported. RequestUpload may have been disabled by aftermarket engine software.

and

Received negative response for service ID: RequestRoutineResultsByLocalIdentifier, with response code: BlockTransferDataChecksumError
17/Nov/2015 09:45:01.052: LOG: Checksum is incorrect.

BTW I'm using the memory layout specified for my specific ecu and year/make/model...

Anyways I know you can flash even if your memory layout isn't verified... But I can't flash due to the fact I can't read my flash memory in order to begin tuning lol...

I have a few .bin files as well as a XDF definition file from the a4 tuning wiki. I loaded up both the .bin and .xdf in tuner pro and everything is fine and I'm able to tune the .bin file just fine... But I'm curious if either of these .bin files will be ok to use with my ECU and car.

06A906032DL_0261206890_v354821.bin

and

06A906032DL_0261206890_v360227.bin

Also I have

VW Golf4 1.8T 06A906032DL 0261206890 354821 Original.bin

Or a 180hp file too

VW bora 1.8T 180HP 06A906032SL 0261208529 371155.bin

But I know that one is for like an AWP or something...

The thing is my ECU came out of another car and was swapped by the P.O... I can tell 100percent sure that its not tuned. But I suspect it was likely trial tuned at some point in time considering these circumstances...

But one more question before I post the thread, Is it not allowing me to read because I haven't defeated the immo? I assumed I wouldn't have to defeat it because if I'm not mistaken the P.O would have had to defeat it in order to do an ecu swap in the first place?... idk.

I don't care about the file on this ecu. The only reason I want to read it is because from my research its best to tune the file on YOUR PARTICULAR ecu and to avoid using a different ecu file because of differences in software versions and what not... But if someone can confirm that one of the .bin files I mentioned is safe, then I'll just tune one of those and write over my existing file.

Thanks in advance!

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COMAs low as just $50
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

bootmode is your friend Smiley

but if you want to flash over obd you should defeat your immo anyway
some files can be protected from reading over obd but you can flash over it with with nefmoto (only warning about memory layout mismatch will appear)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 04:54:36 PM by fukenbroken » Logged
royce5950

I appreciate your reply, and thank you very much!

1st question: How do I enter bootmode in nefmoto? and are you saying boot mode will allow me to read the ECU? or are you saying that bootmode is just something that I should keep in mind when it comes time to flash? Because I haven't actually gotten the opportunity to flash yet... I've been trying for the past 2 weeks to get a read of my ECU... The way it looks, with not having any luck reading the flash memory... It seems my best bet is getting a matching .bin file, same or almost exactly the same as the one in my ECU.

Do you know what the main differences in various software versions would be in regards to particular engine codes and their ECU files? For example I have like 3 different stock/original .bin files just for the 1.8t AWW engine. But they all have a slight variance in the last few digits of their file name... which I made bold in the original post I made.

Can just about any AWW .bin file be tuned and then flashed to my ECU? Or if not ANY, then could anyone confirm whether or not any of the ones I posted would be ok?
Or would it be a good idea to go to the dealership and have the service department reflash my ECU with the latest version of my engines software, Going home, reading my ECU, tune that file, then flash... etc?

And last question: I'm really good at searching, researching, studying and so forth... I'm self sufficient and not often do I need to be spoon fed... On that note, I might just be a complete idiot but can you or someone please post a link to a thread explaining the immo defeat process along with whatever is necessary to do this? Its one of the only things I don't have a firm grasp on as far as the entire tuning process...

Anyways I know I'm posting a lot of stuff but my main concern is regarding the first 2 questions. A little more digging and I can probably handle the immo defeat thing myself.

Thanks in advance and thanks to you @fukenbroken +1

Purchase Tuned Files Ready To Be FlashedFor Audi / VW 1.8T & 2.0T Engines ➡️ TUNEDBYV3@GMAIL.COMAs low as just $50
nyet
Administrator

Read all the flashing stickies and the first link in my sig.

Nefmoto flasher does not support bootmode

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
royce5950

I'm going to go out to my car and expirement with visualme7 tonight I'll report back. And thank you nyet.

adam-

The problem appears to be that you cannot pull your file due to the upload service being disabled.  It's a fast way that ARP/Revo use to stop generic punk users from grabbing their files. 

Firstly, pull the ECU out the car and open it up, take your time and use a blade to cut all the sealant.  Remove the board from the case entirely, and look at the chips - check to see if there is an adaptor on the board - it will look like a socket that is holding a chip.  If there isn't, it is just the flash that is stopping you from uploading your file.

You appear to have followed the steps properly so far - and you've noticed that cross-flashing is bad protocol.  At this stage though, you have no other option "bootmode" to flash your file.

Bootmode requires the ECU to be removed from the car and split - so that you can ground out Pin 24 on the flash chip.  When grounded and then the ECU powered up, the ECU will enter a programming mode - where you; the user, can flash whatever file he/she wants onto the chip.  Bootmode also requires a homemade harness made from two ECU plugs and a female OBD socket and a 12v power supply.  It's documented how to make one on here, but it's a bit lacking.  I'm going to put a thorough document together to help people.

It is recommended that you start with the file that was originally on the ECU - you can check the Original ECU section of the forum to attempt to find an ori.  Use this Ori, combined with a Galletto or MPPS cable to flash over bootmode.  The Nefmoto software does NOT support bootmode, you'll need another cable (the Galletto or MPPS).

Then, with your new harness, connect the ECU and the cable and ground out the pin.  Apply power to the ECU and hold the grounded out bootmode pin for 5 seconds, then remove.  You are now in bootmode.  You can connect with Galletto and flash over your new file.

After that, you are finished.  The problem is, with APR/Revo stuff, they mess with the EEPROM too - so you might need a virgin EEPROM too.

So:
Open up the ECU and check for a socket
Pull EEPROM with Argdubs tool
Make bootmode harness and purchase Galletto cable
Boot ECU in bootmode and flash ori file onto it
See if it starts

If it doesn't start, the EEPROM will need virginified.  You'll need to ask for a virgin EEPROM for your ECU as the APR/Revo one is effectively corrupt. 

The other option, of course, is to buy a second hand ECU, keep yours as the "original", adapt the new ECU to the car and use that one as your tuning base.  It's a lot to take in, if you need clarification on anything, just reply.
royce5950

Thank you so much for your insight. You rock and you have helped me a great deal! I'll copy and past your post and save it as a print file then add it to my printed tuning guide/diary lol. Seriously tho.  Grin

Is taking my car into the dealership to have them flash a stock file to my ECU out of the question? Because that would be a lot easier and that way I'd also have the latest software version as a base file to start tuning. Atleast thats my understanding.

If not I will probably take your advice in the last suggestion you made. Which is to find a donor ECU to tune and keep this as a back up.

Because I'm a computer technician so if infact I need to disect the ECU I can and will, but I'd of course like to avoid that lol.

Thanks in advance.

_nameless

Just because you can't read the file doesn't mean you can't flash over it. Just like Adam said it could be locked with a commercial file. If it is tuned you need to figure out if you want to risk loosing your tuned file and if your ready to use bootmode to recover your ecu if something was to happen during the flash. My 2 €ents : pickup anther ecu, they can be found cheap and any mk4 1.8t ecu from 01-05 auto or manual will work for you once you immo off or transfer your exsting immo data. This will also give you a chance to learn how to read / write your EEPROM, how to bootmode etc. without risking leaving you without your car.
Good luck,
Marty 

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
royce5950

I found an exact original .bin match to my ecu, i have a working definition as well.. but curious?if i understand correctly, once ive tuned, corrected checksum, and im all ready your saying i should be able to then flash over it? and will immo defeat be necessary? thanks by the way for all the help everyone!

ive never cared about losing the tune... mainly because i dont think its tuned lol, my turbo sleeps through 1st and second and then kicks in for like 3 - 5 seconds in 3rd gear lol... I have a boost gauge and it seems like it only ever goes above 0 once I hit 3rd gear, and the absolute highest my boost gauge ever reads is 6psi which is max for an AWW stock file... and its obviously lacking the power you expect from even the most basic tune...

Long story short I suspect the ECU was simply trial tuned sometime in its life..

royce5950

Also if it was just trial tuned, does apr or revo screw with the eeprom too? because Im curious if when I flash, am I likely to face any eeprom issues mentioned earlier? or is that related to trying to read the ecu?

thanks again

adam-

Once you've modified and checksum'd your file, you are ready to flash it.  That's not the problem though, the problem is that, if the ECU is locked from reading - it could be locked from writing, too.

That means you can't write your file.  But, with bootmode, you can overwrite the code that is stopping writing with your new file - the ECU is locked from reading due to the current file that's on it.

The problem is though, if the ECU is locked, it might have been previously tuned by APR/Revo and they tweak the EEPROM too.  I'm worried that if you are able to write your file over the top of theirs, that the EEPROM is now corrupt and you'll have a no start situation.  That's why I'm keen you buy a spare ECU and tune THAT one, not your current one that has been messed with.
royce5950

Alright, well after reading your response I checked google and within 5 minutes I've managed to dig up 5 various vw/audi service and performance shops within a 10 mile radius of my house.

Double J moterks does APR, HM motorsports does APR, Futrell autowerks does APR, Halsey Automotive does Revo and Hillside Imports does Revo...

Would it be worth a try to contact any of them and drive down to one of their shops to see if they could confirm whether or not I had an APR or Revo tune? or had a trial tune at some point? and if that were possible would they be able to remove it? or something like that?

Also, I found an ECU on craigslist near me that I'm going to buy on pay day. SO thank you for the advice on getting a donor ecu so I'm not without transportation if something goes wrong... But I was curious. My ECU has software version 0006 and the .bin file I found for my ecu is a complete match other than the fact that it contains software version 0003. Will that be an issue and in this case will I still need to immo defeat or clone my immo if I'm using that terminology correctly.

Thank you.

adam-

The fact that you can't read the file means that it has been played with.  Combined with the fact that it's making no boost until 3rd sounds like a big dealer (APR/Revo) ploy to get you to go back to get their tune re-instated.  It's a money making thing.

You can pick up used ECU's pretty cheap - I just bought one for £35 delivered to my door.  Cross-flashing is not recommended but so long as the part number is the same, it sounds like it'll work.

Swap the new ECU in and code as per Ross-tech, it's not too hard.  Defeating it is pointless if you can just adapt it as normal and still have it functioning.  Immo off is for the 2.7 boys that have issues, the 1.8t isn't so bad. 

You should be fine with your new ECU.  Just code it as per the Ross-tech and you should be good to go.  Cloning it isn't really an option because the EEPROM will likely be tampered with because Revo/APR.  I'd just start afresh.  Once you get a good, working ECU that YOU have YOUR file on, you're flying.  As long as you take it slow, read all the Wiki and understand it, checksum your file before you flash, you will be fine.

I've flashed mine over 100 times and only just bricked it and that was because I was flashing random files to see if I could get a function to work. You'll be fine dude.
royce5950

You have helped me so much I mean it thank you so much!   I think i love you Adam lol

And thank you everyone else!  Nyet And fukenbroken too!

Now final question, dude hit me back Just Now and let me know he decided to save the ecu for a backup I guess. I searched EBay for ecus numbered 06a906032dl, as well as things like Aww ecu, 1.8t mk4 ecu 2001... And i couldn't find one cheaper than a little over a hundred dollars. But i did find plenty of other mk4 1.8t me7.5 ecus for 20 - 65 made for various engine codes other than the Aww. Im sure the answer is out there but your very knowledgeable and i trust your advice based on what you've stated. Anyways im wondering what ecus you can confirm will allow me to flash my tuned Aww 06a906032DL file? Im going to keep looking for another Aww ecu but in the event I find a good deal on one made for a different engine code for a lot cheaper I'd definitely take the plunge when i have the chance.

Long story short can you give me a few examples that you know of will work?  I assume any me7. 5 ecu with the 1024kb flash memory or whatever Right?  Thats just an educated guess tho lol.

Thanks again guys.

SB_GLI

You can flash any ME7 MKIV binary to just about any MKIV ecu.  Find a MKIV ecu that's the cheapest and flash your bin to it.  Grab a virgin eeprom and flash that using argdubs tool.  You can transfer just the immo related data from your apr eeprom to your virgin eeprom  (there's a screen in VME7Logger to do this for you).  Install ecu and code as needed with VCDS.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: