Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME7Sum + GUI file permissions problems.  (Read 4970 times)
mattytdi

« on: January 26, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »

Hey Guys,
I've lingered here a fair bit with great success, it's been great to access my ecu and make the adjustments I desire!! Just upgraded to a GTX2860, so having to adjust the tune...
I've modified .bins I have used in the past, but having a heck of a time getting them checksummed..!!
Always used the drag/drop checker... was great.. now...chsum portion of the file won't run, and when it abruptly closes it deletes itself from the computer at the same time..
When using the cmd window, it says not authorized to access to .bin file...
Anyone have any experience similar to this in the past..?
Thanks!
Matt
dream3R

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:34 PM »

Hey Guys,
I've lingered here a fair bit with great success, it's been great to access my ecu and make the adjustments I desire!! Just upgraded to a GTX2860, so having to adjust the tune...
I've modified .bins I have used in the past, but having a heck of a time getting them checksummed..!!
Always used the drag/drop checker... was great.. now...chsum portion of the file won't run, and when it abruptly closes it deletes itself from the computer at the same time..
When using the cmd window, it says not authorized to access to .bin file...
Anyone have any experience similar to this in the past..?
Thanks!
Matt

Hi mate,

Click the Windows button, type "cmd" it should appear in a list, right clik and left click on "Run As Administrator" this will run cmd with local admin privileges.

How to work out values from an A2L Smiley

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5525.msg52371#msg52371

Starting Rev's http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5397.msg51169#msg51169

noobs read this before asking http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9014.0title=

ORGORIGINAL 05 5120 creator for Volvo
ORIGINAL Datalogger (Freeware) Author
ORGINAL finder of the 'extra' torque' limits
I don't have ME7.01 A2L I just use ID
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »

Makes no sense. Why would the .bin not be owned by him and writable in the first place?

Generally, running things as admin should not be needed; even worse, it is a bad habit to get into...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SB_GLI

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:20:55 PM »

Makes no sense. Why would the .bin not be owned by him and writable in the first place?

Generally, running things as admin should not be needed; even worse, it is a bad habit to get into...

Most people don't know how to disable the stupid windows UAC.  That's usually the issue when it comes to file permissions with windows.
adam-

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:34:17 AM »

Depends where the .bin is though.  You can't write directly to the C drive or the Program Files folder without UAC asking.  Other folders are fine.  It should write fine though. 

Matty: read through this thread again and learn to type commands.  Drag and drop is slower because you're now having to query why it's not working.  It takes seconds to type out a command to read and write.  I'll usually just grab the path of the folder by clicking the redirect buttons at the top of Explorer. (click after the last button and you'll get the path), copy that and paste it into the cmd window.

There's no need to use drag and drop with cmd, it's just not designed to be like that.
mattytdi

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your input!! I hadn't responded, because I didn't see any notification of replies...
I have tried soo many things... Downloaded ME7Corrections, GUI for check-sums.. worked great!!
Now, a few days later I can't open it, as admin, or otherwise... This is the error message I get: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Otherwise when I try to use ME7Sum, it removes itself from the file... Untraceable it seems...
I'm at a loss... Any ideas what's going on..? I don't know windows all that well.
Oh it's windows 7 btw...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »

Close your green color tag ffs

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."[color]

The file (either the me7sum exe or the bin) got deleted.

Otherwise when I try to use ME7Sum, it removes itself from the file...

I have no clue what this sentence means.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
mattytdi

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:55:40 PM »

Gentlemen...
Thank you again for all of your help and input.
After days of agonizing trial end failure.. It turned out that y anti-virus was preventing the function of the checking software!!
Problem solved!!
Thanks again!!
mattytdi

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

To explain that sentence Nyet, When I would try to use the ME7Sum application, my computer would delete the application...
Like actually remove it from the extracted file package, leaving the ME7check app, and read me file still intact in the extracted file.
 I would try to use the app, and it would come on screen for a blip, close ina split second, then the app would be deleted...lol
 Was driving me crazy, then I found that my anti-virus was treating ME7sum as a virus, preventing it from running, and quarantine the app. Did that help to clear my previous statement up a bit..?
Thanks for giving my query some attention, very much appreciated!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »

It baffles me that an AV program would find a basic command line app a problem.

Which AV?

ECUx Plot

mattytdi

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »

Sorry for the delayed replies Nyet.
I'm using Panda free, I don't know much about it, but it seemed to have done well in anti-virus competitions, and light weight from what i've gathered.
Strange thing was that it hadn't interferred in probably 15 previous checksum scan and repairs..then suddenly, maybe after an update, couldn't get the app to function... And I had the virus program set to auto remove malware, without notifying me, so the app would delete, and leave me baffled...lol

Once I was aware of this, I had the AV notify me, then grant the Checksum permission to be over-looked by the AV. It's a relief that it's functioning properly again. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: