Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Collaborative development vs proprietary and abandonware software.  (Read 41642 times)
mister t

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 01:19:53 AM »

Seems kinda secret handshake to me.  Tongue

Nah, just my logon credentials for a subscription site that has some very useful Bosch info that someone with software development skills may be able to put to good use. Just don't want to advertise which one seeing I pay for access to it.
thegtiman

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »

Of course I would.

I would happily pay for the end product.
mister t

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 03:09:51 AM »

I would happily pay for the end product.

As I'm sure many would for a good, well developed product.

Hell I spent $50 buying BMW flashing software just because I wanted to encourage the fellow who made it to keep at it.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

Nah, just my logon credentials for a subscription site that has some very useful Bosch info that someone with software development skills may be able to put to good use. Just don't want to advertise which one seeing I pay for access to it.

I retract my comment. Smiley

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
gman86

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 01:44:32 AM »

Rough idea what it's got? I'm always looking for something worth starting a group collab on
mister t

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »

Rough idea what it's got? I'm always looking for something worth starting a group collab on

A bunch of tuning files for more recent ECU's (nothing really that special, but it's a good starting point for research).

But more to the point of this thread, it has almost a terabyte of DAMOS and internal documents,ECU development tools/applications, etc... which appear to be lifted straight from Bosch's servers... Wink
gman86

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

A bunch of tuning files for more recent ECU's (nothing really that special, but it's a good starting point for research).

But more to the point of this thread, it has almost a terabyte of DAMOS and internal documents,ECU development tools/applications, etc... which appear to be lifted straight from Bosch's servers... Wink

Happy to pay for access ...
Sudmerator

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

This topic was interesting to read lol...egos aside. It was enjoyable.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »

Happy to pay for access ...

Same here.  Smiley

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Vollmer

Professional Cat Herder

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 11:07:26 AM »

The Antikythera Mechanism was made ~100 years before Jesus Christ, yet machines of similar complexity did not occur until ~1400 years after it's destruction.

If it was more accessible and widespread, the ideas would have been observed by others and built upon, giving us 1400 years of advancement in the understanding of geared mechanism. Not to mention astronomical observations and the countless scientific lives murdered by the high religious society of developed countries disagreeing with observational facts. There was surely anatomical and medicinal information lost in the destruction of these ancient societies, or technology and science that lingers with Cold War opponents, behind patents, other closed doors . 

While you may be smart, and the first one to figure it out, refusing to share those ideas makes them worthless.. like a dead man, you are not part of the world. Fearing competition or partnership is a neurological suffering that will bring the community down as whole, for personal short term gain.

How do I feel this relates to tuning?
There is Not a "correct" way to tune a vehicle, any more than there is a "correct" way to sing, or paint a canvas - its a personal taste. Production Car to Top Fuel.
There is no Supposer for the arrogant who can not be held accountable.
If you were an Artist, in the tuning sense, you would paint your own picture, and might find fault in more paintings than someone who isn't an artist. Does the King's taste dictate yours?

With the advancement in the electronics, a standalone ECU for a few of my cars (D2 S8, S60R), is Not viable. The transmissions, Haldex, Traction control, ABS, all the other control units must be operated normally, or better yet, open to modification. The OE ECU must be used, or the car is a pile of parts. The Luxury is in the refinement. 

I ended up in this thread after not finding what I was looking for, and scouring forums and realizing nobody has posted a unified source for ANY tuning tools, or any (proper) software to access the Volvo. Bunch of half baked code scattered across the web along with unresponsive neck beards that think their shit don't stink - when it smells the worst. If you want to talk about scammers, dipshits and hacks, look no further than the Volvo world.. There is a guy who sells Volvo branded Freeware, and the community suggest him ripping people off for it. Shooting themselves in the foot.  Why the cars are crushed so quickly and have no value, when its better than an Evo X.. Point out to anyone how toxic the culture is and they ghost and block you or "Neg Rep", proving the point, and adding absolutely nothing.  How can I read my S60R ECU over CAN, end with a usable bin, and who hoards all the definition files? Or do I need to jerk someone off for that? It should be public. The Audi is easy enough with the janky Nefmoto flasher, bullshit cmd line checksum program, and a few dumpster fire definition files. TunerPro is Free... That single man has done more for multiple communities than the entire community here has done for themselves.. So has the Ross-tech team.. Unfortunately they do not support many types of flash editing or open source modifications to their software.

Social media whoring and the never-ending strive for short term attention and fame is a curse suffered by men. Especially smart ones who may not do well in real life and leverage their isolation on a computer to build programming skill that makes them admired by other superficial men who build cars. Programmers. What is the stereotypical image? The IS a psychology to this culture, and it is obvious. Most Tuners are socially awkward and often ugly. They need Likes more than anyone. Don't get mad at me for spitting the truth. If somebody else can competently Launch control flame gargle pop, I wont get as many likes, and will have to invest more energy in creating a new feature that distinguishes me from the guy who copied my work. Maybe my new rolling antilag feature will include VVT activation, or activate the SAI to spool the turbo. We must make this information publicly accessible to as many interested people as possible. New people brings new ideas which brings growth to the topic YOU are interested in! I am here to trudge through the bullshit and gather the bits I need to teach other people locally and at the track how to tune their vehicles themselves - because so many people have been fucked sideways by the "experts" generated here under the "don't ask, don't tell" mindset you have about everything. Having tuned countless machines for well over a decade, I have no delusions in my understandings of how things work. Engines or their tuning communities. I don't need anyone to like me, that is not why I am here. If shit-stirring is the best way to make things happen, so be it. The programmers here are massively delusional and need to quit getting off to their fans, "please, please". Do it because it is the right thing to do, and spares you the negativity associated with refusal. How many super hero movies is the villain someone who wanted to be like the superhero?.. Maybe it would have been easier to share the flashing tool, instead of creating anger in the community to promote action.

The fact there is not a single Do-it-all community freeware app that can read/write flash from nearly every module in VAG cars, EEProms, Clusters, checksums encryptions, is kinda mind boggling. The cars are mostly in the junkyard or melted down, and there still isn't anything.. I have doubts there ever will be. This community has Failed, so far. Tuning in general in the USA at a commercial level, for road going vehicles is coming under increasingly heavy scrutiny and goes against several federal safety codes for the EPA and DOT, not to mention unclaimed income, cash or PayPal, etc. that I am sure the IRS wants to know about. I may not code well, but I am perfectly capable of raising alarm to these agencies about the illegal activities contained in each and every one of these side gigs. You advertise your illegal activities on public social media sites and post videos racing and speeding on identifiable streets.  Don't act like you're a saint. "Nefarious". I would rather not bring the house down, but when it never made it past the foundations and a few pieces of frame, the shit needs demolished so the Rat programmers and tuners quit living in the shit left by the community. It is no different than drug dealing. Don't be surprised when you see a federal investigation opened on your tuning history. See the Motorex Skyline disaster, and wonder if your clients will be contacted for vehicle inspections. Playing stupid games - stupid prizes await.

Volvo HALL of SHAME:

Guitar24t aka Robert Hilton
SparkyR aka Brandon Halme
Prometey1982 aka Artem Vasiliev
MAXX ECU - Brett Willet
VIDA Leach - David Leech

Useless Twats:
PRJ - Dmitri from Estonia
d3irb

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 03:08:36 PM »

I think a lot of people in this conversation are conflating tuning and tuners (who are by and large, clowns), and software and tools. When it comes to software and tools, the problem here isn't "neckbeards" and "social media" (c'mon, social media was hardly even a thing when ME7 was around).

It's that making software that works for multiple people and does multiple things is *exponentially harder* than making software that works for one use case in one situation. And, publishing documentation is for the most part a thankless exercise in pain.

All nyet is really asking IMO is that when people make software that works once, they share the source so someone else can try to make it better, and they host it on a semi-reliable platform like GitHub or GitLab. I don't think this is too crazy to ask.

On the other hand, expecting good documentation and a magic swiss army knife tool - well, if you want that, why don't you grab a shovel and start writing some documentation?
prj

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 02:15:54 AM »

Don't feed the troll, not worth your time.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Vollmer

Professional Cat Herder

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 02:20:51 PM »

Ha! You would be offended, seeing as you are the type of unhelpful people I am talking about. I posted in the off-topic section under a related post, as to make my post relevant. Maybe he has free time, like myself, and feel the need to start a change in a community I am now forced to be a part of as a result of expanding my horizons to European Bosch based vehicles. Freedom of speech? I am willing to offend you, and that should be ok!, as you regularly offend others who are too coy to call you out.

A Great Example of your rotten contributions would be the 6HP19 Thread you are participating in, waving you E-Peen around being a clown.
Help the poor sap! You claim to know, then share the support! Otherwise, you are only being a tease - which nobody likes.

D3irb has been perfectly reasonable in his response, and has contributed things on github, and would love to see more! He might even be human!
In regards to social media, I am talking about the strive for affirmation and purpose. "Like Me".  I dont need people to like me. The world needs assholes to get shit done. It is clearly a mess around here.

People often call, text, and email me for tunes on a Variety of platforms. I do it for charity, I even give cars away, and always make sure the end user is aware of the changes I am making, why I am doing it, and how they can adjust it to their needs down the road. I teach people to fish. People are messaging me because every option to tune a Volvo is a scam ran by a little cheat of a person, who takes the money and then ghosts them, with so many fanbois and nutswingers censoring your comments on FB, etc, the truth can not be told. Scam after scam.  I am literally fucking disgusted, and feel sick with a pain in my chest. People peddle shit like a crack head on the corner.

Prj, someday you wont be around, but the things like the 6HPyou work on will be. A few of the Volvo tuners I am forced to stalk have actually died. You have the opportunity today with the internet to make your discoveries widespread, appreciated, recorded and used to build understanding of the next platform. You must provide digestible media and data for the next generation of tuners to build off and grow. Selfishness is not sustainable, nor does it show a love for what you are doing. If you can not explain what is going on to a toddler, you do not understand.

I have compiled nearly everything I can find, from useful posts, to software, and plan making a relatable series of tutorials for the idiots that need spoon-fed, because sometimes that is your friend, or little brother, or your kid. I have had 4 requests for S60R tunes after the 3 existing options, which all came from here! Produced a shit tune after THOUSANDS of dollars. Guitar24t Hilton, contrast Urbas tuning. S60r s60rxtreme bhalme sparkyR, have ALL been accused of ghosting the customer and producing choppy tunes. That shit is coming from here! PLENTY of people know how to tune a vehicle, but restricting the tools to a few window licking fucktards results in the scene being a dump, and the cars being trashed and devalued.

If I need to troll the entire internet, I will. Something must be done to address what I see as a tuning crisis, and a slow death of the modified car in general. People too afraid to speak up, cause people kiss your feet for the information you hang over their head. Then they will tell the customers blatant lies to discourage them from tuning. "Its all hex" "You need to be a software engineer" "If you are asking, don't even try" "Its out there"
No shit, the information to go to the moon is out there and I don't see anyone goin there!

I have gotten dozens of projects accomplished by rousing the community. Sometimes you gotta turn the manure under.

The Alphabet club comments are tongue-in-cheek, and I do believe people should consider the legitimacy of their business practices and how it effects others. There is a disclaimer for a reason. Taxes have a purpose. And Scams are rampant. Go to the track. More people go to the track, and we get more tracks. Head in ass is going to drive the scene into a bigger pit. If some dipshit tunes his vehicle to crack and pop and shoot flames, good on him, but I definitely dont think a shop that doesnt pay taxes should be selling emissions defeating software that disturbs the peace and possibly gives some elderly person a scare. How is that fair for the legitimate companies that do follow the rules?

If common people were allowed access to the tools and basic information they need to modify their cars, the entire community would flourish and take care of themselves, instead of the dozen or so problems currently working in the industry. There is also an advantage of having widespread education and understanding of tuning when any legislation or crackdown on performance shops DOES happen and there is a prohibition or underground era when the only way the art will survive is if the knowledge and tools are widespread. Kinda like gun ownership. They cant take them all away, but they could shut down the few people who tune, and that would be the end of it because the tools weren't available. There IS plenty of benefits doing things the proper way and sharing. It's called Altruism

Volvo HALL of SHAME:

Guitar24t aka Robert Hilton
SparkyR aka Brandon Halme
Prometey1982 aka Artem Vasiliev
MAXX ECU - Brett Willet
VIDA Leach - David Leech

Useless Twats:
PRJ - Dmitri from Estonia
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »

I have compiled nearly everything I can find, from useful posts, to software, and plan making a relatable series of tutorials for the idiots that need spoon-fed, because sometimes that is your friend, or little brother, or your kid.

I look forward to additions to the wiki (we could rebrand to from s4 to me7) and github repo links.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2022, 12:33:13 PM »

Too long, did not read.

Can you type some more? Cheesy

I look forward to additions to the wiki (we could rebrand to from s4 to me7) and github repo links.
Don't hold your breath, it's a random troll with a throwaway e-mail provider.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: