Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Planning to convert a non turbo 1.8 to turbo - Some questions/help needed  (Read 32677 times)
Blazius

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

Yes the heads are interchangeable. You can put a 20v head on just about any vw 4 cylinder bottom. Only difference is older blocks are missing the 3 main oil returns on the back of the head. In your case you have nothing to worry about it's a direct swap. Stock end gap is normally 0.00015" I open that up to0.00035".

Allright, also you mean 0.015 " right ? ( 0.4mm)- 0.00015" is really small I never heard about that
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:57:02 PM by Blazius » Logged
mdz

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »

I doubt there's much more science in those compression dropping gaskets than getting pair of normal gaskets, drilling out rivets that holds layers together and combining them to thickness you need. Kinda ghetto way, but i has been done and working.  Grin
Nice Passat  Cool
Blazius

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »

I doubt there's much more science in those compression dropping gaskets than getting pair of normal gaskets, drilling out rivets that holds layers together and combining them to thickness you need. Kinda ghetto way, but i has been done and working.  Grin
Nice Passat  Cool

Yeah most likely, thought manufacturers just use more steel layers(lol) and done and charge 3x as much more a normal one Tongue
I still dont know if its worth paying 44% more for a turbo block over standart N/A one , just for exhaust valve difference and cams - if there is any difference at all , dammit - cannot make my mind up lol
_nameless

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »

I don't think the adr pistons are forged. Also with the flat top pistons the compression will be really high and you'll need to run the hg spacer to keep it low enough to run boost on pump fue. The aeb has dished forged pistons and will give you a good compression for pump fuel. I guess it really depends on what you plan on buying. I think for the boost and power goals you have ether way would be fine

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Blazius

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 01:25:39 AM »

I don't think the adr pistons are forged. Also with the flat top pistons the compression will be really high and you'll need to run the hg spacer to keep it low enough to run boost on pump fue. The aeb has dished forged pistons and will give you a good compression for pump fuel. I guess it really depends on what you plan on buying. I think for the boost and power goals you have ether way would be fine

Yeah, ARG/ADR pistons aint forged, I got official answer back from Mahle. Say I get the turbo block, what would I need to know to switch pistons over? Keep in mind I got no engine stand or lift, so I would have to do in the car, (maybe I can rig up an engine stand for to take apart the other motor) , would I need to rehone the wall, etc. or just get new piston rings and bearings for rods  or just rings and drop them in like it right now ? Or should I clean up the wall at the top with 2000 grit sandpaper or something like that. I havent really touched any lower block so far, but its not rocket science so I'm willing to try.

edit: oh and will the stock ECU compensate for this change with the rest of the motor being stock, cause I dont have the bank to buy all the turbo parts necessary right now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:28:17 AM by Blazius » Logged
_nameless

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 01:52:50 AM »

Why not just swap bottoms completely? Avoid pulling it apart for now.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Blazius

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 02:48:47 AM »

Why not just swap bottoms completely? Avoid pulling it apart for now.

No engine lift , etc , swapping over would be easier IMO from under the car.

Another thing .. AEB is a large port head, my current intake manifold is small port , how is that gonna work ?, small port gasket or big port headgasket ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:14:00 AM by Blazius » Logged
Hargrove

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2018, 03:23:29 AM »

No engine lift , etc swapping over to D-Bal would be easier IMO from under the car.

Another thing .. AEB is a large port head, my current intake manifold is small port , how is that gonna work ?, small port gasket or big port headgasket ?

Feels like there's no easy solution here. Just a slightly less complicated one. Looking forward to reading how you pulled it off, Blazius.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 05:17:48 AM by Hargrove » Logged
Blazius

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »

So currently I was in talks with a dude for an AEB motor, but I dont know whats the end verdict, I want a motor asap, and the dude wants like 20 bucks infront as warranty that I am not scamming him(with shipping , not picking up , sendin it back ) ,but there are no banks near me and I dont have internet banking enabled atm, I am not really feeling it to be honest, this motor is 240 usd shipped.
I also started talking with another one that is the same engine code (ARG) for 170 usd , dunno about shipping yet, with apparently 180kkm , they seem more serious.

The issue is here that AEB is a large port head , and I got small port intake , 1st of all I dont know how would that work, and second as I said it seems dodgy to me tbh, now if its actually legit and I buy the other one (ARG) then I miss out on free turbo pistons, and if I want to run higher psi eventually either I get a thicker HG or get turbo pistons from somewhere.

Ahh, I think I'll say to the turbo one, if he wants to sell it Ill pay all the total when it comes with courier no paying in advance or bye, and if he accepts , good ( hopefully the motor is working LOL) and if he doesnt I'll get the normal one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:25:33 AM by Blazius » Logged
mdz

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »

Use large port gasket and if you have access to grinding tools, port the manifold to match the gasket. Theoretically another way to drop compression ratio is to enlarge combustion chamber in the head. There is some metal to grind off. I'll get a piece of plexiglass and try to play with enlarging the chamber and measuring its volume on one of spare heads I have.  Roll Eyes
Blazius

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

Use large port gasket and if you have access to grinding tools, port the manifold to match the gasket. Theoretically another way to drop compression ratio is to enlarge combustion chamber in the head. There is some metal to grind off. I'll get a piece of plexiglass and try to play with enlarging the chamber and measuring its volume on one of spare heads I have.  Roll Eyes

Yea , that is what I am going to do but no sanding tools really, so hand sand is gonna be fun. And yeah I seen "porting" the combustion chamber , but doesn't that introduce other issues, there is a vid on youtube of people doing it.
For now I am waiting until monday to see whatsup, also if I get that engine it comes with some bits and pieces, actually I can upload a pic.

That flywheel is probably shot like crazy.. what I am afraid is , that its quite cheap for amount of money with all them accessories, but they offer warranty and factures so Smiley
_nameless

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »

Leave the bottom end that in the car alone use the thickest head gasket you can get and put a head in the block. Should be cheaper then a complete block and it will be up and running. Save up and buy a engine crane and piston rod combo down the road

Carsinc

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »

There are head spacers for aeb style block
Blazius

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2018, 03:04:18 AM »

Leave the bottom end that in the car alone use the thickest head gasket you can get and put a head in the block. Should be cheaper then a complete block and it will be up and running. Save up and buy a engine crane and piston rod combo down the road

Yeah, that is what I'm gonna do , but I am going to dissassemble the head before installing, to soak it in diesel , cause its prolly gonna be sludged af , and I am going to do the same with the block, that is okay right or is it enough to get the lifters out and leave the valves in ?

There are head spacers for aeb style block

You mean thicker headgasket? Yeah they are available, but they are quite expensive and I do not have the bank for it. I just need to get the car running so I can go to work Tongue
Blazius

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2018, 02:24:15 AM »

So , just got myself a valve spring compressor , a proper headbolt tool aswell Cheesy, 2 little things cost a bazillion Cheesy Now about the engine, gonna call the dude soonTM and see what he says.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: