Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Help with VAST Stage 3 tune file  (Read 44740 times)
BerkleyJ

« on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »

Unable to read the Vast tune on my car using NefMoto (likely due to them blocking it). I resorted to pulling the bin using Galletto with the ECU in Bootmode. I successfully read the ECU and was given a bin file which I subsequently attempted flashing directly to a spare ECU using NefMoto.

With the "successfully" flashed spare ECU the car will not start even once. I even attempted correcting the checksums using the mtx checksum plugin and flashing again to the same demise.

Running ME7Check on the original pulled bin gives a warning: "modified all_param_start = 808000 found at 808030" but claims no "errors" were found.

Attached is the bin pulled directly from my VAST tuned ECU in boot mode.

EDIT: Simply opening and saving the bin in TunerPro to correct the checksums results in ME7Check claiming their is a checksum error.
EDIT2: I think it's related to Vast trying block kwp2000 interaction. I just need to figure out how to reverse it.

To those that didn't read the brief summary above:
This is not for public flashing and is locked to my EEPROM, has hidden maps, and has tamper protection that causes reset loops
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:57:27 AM by BerkleyJ » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »

What is your intent?
BerkleyJ

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »

The emissions is not correctly coded out. My car wont pass readiness. A quick google search will show that I'm not the only one with a VAST tuned S4 that has the emissions messed up. If worst comes to worst I'll just use as much information as I can from the VAST tune and apply to my own custom tune. I'd much rather keep the tune I paid for though.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:21 AM »

Then why post vast's tune on an open forum like this where it's very likely that noobs will download and use the file, possibly even sell it?

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
BerkleyJ

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:32:09 AM »

If you read the bold red text you'd know that this bin is not flashable. I posted the bin in hopes that a more senior member could look at it for me or tell me how to fix it. I didn't think it was a big deal considering it's for an unspecified stage 3 setup (mine). And I don't think VAST will mind.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »

Unfortunately, the current climate is that tuners DO mind.

Sadly, if you want to do something simple like remove rear O2 or change the rev limit on a tuned file that you paid for, you are boned.

The most "accepted" way is to rewrite the whole thing from scratch.

If you aren't interested in spending the time and effort (it is considerable), your best bet would be to find somebody you trust who can tune the car AND give you ownership of the resulting bin such that he is ok with you modifying it later.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
BerkleyJ

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

The problem is when doing a difference check between the vast bin and a stock bin their are an unbelievable amount of unmapped differences. I "quickly" tried to build my own tune using some information obtained from the vast tune and ended up with something not so great.

I have attempted to get Tony's Base stage 3 tune working by migrating the fueling and MAF data from the VAST tune but I always end up with the idle bouncing between 900 and 1000. a rising and falling cycle every second or so one might say. Any ideas?

Also feel free to remove the bin from my original post.
userpike

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »

I DLed the file and corrected the checksums using another checksum correcter. Should I PM you with it or will I get smited for posting it up?..I dont want to be a dick.
BerkleyJ

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »

If you pm'd it to me. I would be eternally grateful.
userpike

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »

If you pm'd it to me. I would be eternally grateful.

I think I need a regular email for you. I cant figure out how to attach a file to the PM..
BerkleyJ

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »

I sent you a PM
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:41:21 AM by BerkleyJ » Logged
userpike

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »

I sent you a PM

back at ya now
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:34:23 PM by userpike » Logged
BerkleyJ

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »

ME7Check claims there is a checksum error. It seems "correcting" the checksums or doing anything with the original bin (including flashing with nefmoto) causes some sort of checksum error.

Can someone elaborate on the "warning: modified all_param_start = 808000 found at 808030" that ME7Check spits out?

Summary:
Checking the original file shows no checksum errors. Attempting to correct them actually causes a checksum error and flashing with nefmoto causes the car to not start and spit out the typical checksum DTC "decoding not licensed" error
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:10:15 AM by BerkleyJ » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »

Then why post vast's tune on an open forum like this where it's very likely that noobs will download and use the file, possibly even sell it?

Are you serious? Vast is no longer in business. This guy has no recourse other than to post asking for assistance. There is no other way for him to sort this out. If the tuner was still in business (I'm sure it was assumed they would be when he bought the file) he could go to them. If that were the case, I'd agree that he should go to them first. This isn't the case. As long as he's not advocating copying the file (which to be honest I doubt anyone who blindly downloads it could get to work anyway), or listing the required components to use the file, what's the problem?

If you have nothing helpful to say, go away. I've seen your posts, and this is just more of the same.

Don't worry about being smited, very few people can please everybody. I'm sure I'll get smited for these comments, but I don't see the issue with offering assistance to someone with a legitimate request.

BerkleyJ:

I'm not sure how much luck you're going to have with modifying that file. I'm looking at it now, but I've seen a few vast files, none of which looked like that.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Try this. It's your file with standard m-box offsets patched in, and the checksums corrected. If that flashes, modify from there.

==============================================================================
ME7Check v1.12 (c) mki, 06/2004-05/2012
Checking file C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Desktop\Vastfixed.bin (size=104857
6)
Reading Version Strings...
-> Bootrom Version = embedded in CPU, asume 05.12/05.32
-> EPK = 40/1/ME7.1/5/6005.01//22m/DstC2o/011200//
-> Contents of ECUID data table:
   - '0261207143'         (SSECUHN)
   - '1037360857'         (SSECUSN)
   - '8D0907551M  '       (VAG part number)
   - '0002'               (VAG sw number)
   - '5283/pumpV1     '   (engine id)
-> Contents of ECUID data table:
   - 'HW_MAN004'

-> No errors found. File is OK.   *********************

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: