Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Acceptable limits for knock voltage  (Read 95383 times)
Blazius

« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »

Old discussion, but i don't think it's worth creating a new one.

If we are talking about non-stock engine (with stronger -so heavier and different design- rods), factory settings off KFKEF should become wrong, and may detect knock when it's not knocking? So raising KFKEF 10...12perc. maybe not so bad idea, if i have more timing retardation comparing with stock internals(after engine rebuild)?

honestly IMO if you have a road car that you are tuning yourself without detcans and dyno , you should probably not touch factory knock settings ever, pulling false knock few degrees is always a better thing than not not pulling IMO. With different fuels and stuff maybe you can mess with the recovery but yeah..
prj

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »

So raising KFKEF 10...12perc. maybe not so bad idea, if i have more timing retardation comparing with stock internals(after engine rebuild)?
Raising something by percentage when you have no clue how it is working is always a really bad idea!
No, it is not going to detect false knock even with OEM settings, and if it does it's the sensor fault.

But hey all the tuning these days is done by geniuses who think "let's raise everything in a square by 10-12%". Better nip this shit in the bud.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nupustas

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »

This why i found this old topic - i don't change blindly all maps, first trying to understand how it works. It's a little bit strange for me, that only H rods replacement couses more knocking (engine was build responsibly - every clearances in OEM spec, no mechanical issues after 15000km). Maybe its absolutely normal?
R32Dude

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2021, 06:08:11 PM »

The algorithm is pretty clever as it looks at the instantaneous voltage vs a weighted average of the last few cycles. It only refers to the generic baseline maps in some extreme circumstances. So if it knocks under WOT in a high gear it most probably is a knock, as it detected a large change from that of the last few cycles, not a generic stronger noise from the rods. In low gears false knocks can occur if the car is accelerating much faster than it used to , then changing KRFTPx can help. Read the FR as it not quite as simple as I just described it.
Forget looking at knock voltages from the logs for anything but baseline values. The real knocks from the sensors are too fast to be logged by the logger.  Use an after market knock detector to be safe.
prj

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2021, 04:56:39 AM »

This why i found this old topic - i don't change blindly all maps, first trying to understand how it works. It's a little bit strange for me, that only H rods replacement couses more knocking (engine was build responsibly - every clearances in OEM spec, no mechanical issues after 15000km). Maybe its absolutely normal?

If the engine was rebuilt properly and the head came off then also the head was skimmed and possibly the block decked, so the result is possibly a slightly higher compression ratio.

Log your car properly.
nupustas

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »

Yes, head and and block was skimmed(it was almost year ago, not sure, but it was about 0,1-0,2mm from both surfaces). Stock head gasket was instal, so sligty higher compression ratio i got. Logically, I didn’t think about it .
Thanks everyone, i will stay at stock knock maps.
tadope

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2021, 09:45:21 PM »

Just to chime in on the knock v issue.

there was some mention of high knock v on cyl 3.
and I think a lot of people see this.
this is on 1.8t.

I have that as well.
my cyl 3 is always way higher.

I honestly believe this is because that is where the turbo is!
Think about it. Your k0xx turbo is tucked right up against cylinder three.
so that red hot exhaust turbine is cooking right next to where that chamber is trying to make power.
Those temps are going to interfere with the combustion for sure.
Probably makes it much more knock prone than the other cylinders.

I'm going to try and stick some heat shielding inbetween the block and the turbo and seei f that effects things.
Maybe there is power to be gained there.
Audiowizulany

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2022, 02:39:07 PM »

Just to chime in on the knock v issue.

there was some mention of high knock v on cyl 3.
and I think a lot of people see this.
this is on 1.8t.

I have that as well.
my cyl 3 is always way higher.

I honestly believe this is because that is where the turbo is!
Think about it. Your k0xx turbo is tucked right up against cylinder three.
so that red hot exhaust turbine is cooking right next to where that chamber is trying to make power.
Those temps are going to interfere with the combustion for sure.
Probably makes it much more knock prone than the other cylinders.

I'm going to try and stick some heat shielding inbetween the block and the turbo and seei f that effects things.
Maybe there is power to be gained there.
Has it worked?
prj

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2022, 03:03:30 PM »

Has it worked?
Disregard what this guy says, has no clue about anything just types a lot.

The issue with cyl 3 is that they have the highest EGT. This is internal, not external. EGT is affected by a bunch of factors, but distribution of air is the biggest one, and also location in the engine block affects it a little.
If you look at what the stock intake manifold looks like, it is clear that cylinder 2 and 3 are going to get the most air, and cylinder 3 is going to run the hottest.
Exhaust backpressure affects it as well. So you have a combination of intake manifold and exhaust manifold shapes. The better the path of the air to the intake manifold and the better the flow on the exhaust for a cylinder, the more actual cylinder charge it gets and the higher the dynamic compression is - hence more knock.

Suggesting that some kind of infrared emissions from turbo affect EGT is plain and simply retarded.

You can adjust the FZN and FZWN maps at higher RPM's to give a little more fuel to a cylinder and cool it down more, this will reduce knock.
IIRC they were firing order, too lazy to look up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 03:11:06 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
rogerius

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2022, 10:42:53 PM »

You can adjust the FZN and FZWN maps at higher RPM's to give a little more fuel to a cylinder and cool it down more, this will reduce knock.
IIRC they were firing order, too lazy to look up.

learned this today. Thanks!
nupustas

« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »

Hi, i'm back to topic with a few questions. Recently stroked my engine 1,8t>95,5x82,5 and sometimes see (fake?) knock at low loads/rpm in one cylinder. Decided not to mess up with knock maps without proof what it's really not knock.
1. I'm going to make detcans. What is the best option for 1,8t block - two hoses from 2 different points on block, or 1hose/point is enough?
2.If i leave knock sensors in original place, so where best location for screwing detcan "sensor"?
3.If i confirm, what its not knock but just engine noise, how to set kfkef(x) properly? Just raise maps still ecu didin't see knock? But maps for all cylinders different - how to determine which map I should increase more than other maps?
R32Dude

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »

How much is it retarded by?  Just manually retard the area of concern yourself by more than the KR did and the knock, ,if real ,will go. If its fake, it will still be there. Log zwbas, to make sure the timing changes asked for did actually take place.
nupustas

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2022, 09:20:33 PM »

How much is it retarded by?  Just manually retard the area of concern yourself by more than the KR did and the knock, ,if real ,will go. If its fake, it will still be there. Log zwbas, to make sure the timing changes asked for did actually take place.

This is exactly what i done. Retarded timing(tried adjust from 1 degree to 10 degree) doesnt help in some areas, still pulling timing like before. Also tried add timing(increase values in kfzw), and got less timing pull. Complete opposite of what it should be.
R32Dude

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2022, 07:03:31 AM »

Is it just one knock event or many in succession? If just one forget it. If many in succession, make sure B_krldy or/and B_krndy are actually triggered at wot, (B_krndy only in low gears) to make the next trigger less sensitive for while. If they aren't triggered adjust KFDYES and NGKRWN wisely. Also set CWKRREF =1 .The effect of   B_krldy and/or B_krndy is to increase kek. Also  B_krndy with CWKRREF=1 together, increase the rkr (baseline) for the triggered cylinder.
Both the increased kek and higher rkr, make it harder for KR to trigger quickly after the first knock on that cylinder.
nupustas

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »

Is it just one knock event or many in succession? If just one forget it. If many in succession, make sure B_krldy or/and B_krndy are actually triggered at wot, (B_krndy only in low gears) to make the next trigger less sensitive for while. If they aren't triggered adjust KFDYES and NGKRWN wisely. Also set CWKRREF =1 .The effect of   B_krldy and/or B_krndy is to increase kek. Also  B_krndy with CWKRREF=1 together, increase the rkr (baseline) for the triggered cylinder.
Both the increased kek and higher rkr, make it harder for KR to trigger quickly after the first knock on that cylinder.
Thanks for post, now i should read more about that you wrote. Just want to confirm: rkr -> RKRMX(1)N, kek -> KFKEF(x) ?

Update. And another question after reading FR. If in understand right, when CWKRREF=1, B_krldy and B_krndy aren't included into knock detection at all. Also didin't find any disadvantages of CWKRREF=1, it is also recommended in FR (for automatic transmisions).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:03:43 AM by nupustas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: