Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Disable ASR but keep ABS  (Read 124332 times)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »

its worth splitting your brake and clutch fluid resivoirs to separate containers if heat is an issue, nothing more exciting than barrelling into a corner at 130, stomping the brakes and feeling them boil, going to knock it down a few cogs and realising that 4th is the only gear you can get because the clutch fluid is also boiling.

Personally I run ds2500s and adjust my driving style to suit and seldom get heat issues, but then Wales is notably cooler than CA Sad

I have boiled my fluid more times than i'd like to admit on the track :/

In any case I am genuinely curious about how EDL could harm a clutch type LSD...

Wouldn't the LSD simply prevent the EDL from triggering in the first place by locking up?

And if it doesn't trigger, and the EDL triggers first, wouldn't it prevent the LSD from locking up?

What is the theoretical harm EDL can do to an LSD?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »

Build in a timed relay, that after starting the engine automatically "presses" the button.
Problem solved.

The thought had crossed my mind. Never got around to it. Seem to me cracking in to the ESP unit would be more fun, and would also give me control over EDL as well.

Any possible downsides to FF'ing (or FE'ing) KLDMASRL?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
seishuku

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »

I don't really see how EDL could ruin an LSD... It's simulating the same action (assming a TORSEN LSD), so if anything it might assist the LSD (amplifying the torque transfer).

I'd be all for reprogramming the ESP, but can it be reflashed? I've always figured it was OTP, so no one can tamper with the ABS  half of it (safety issues).
prj

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 12:20:18 AM »

I don't really see how EDL could ruin an LSD... It's simulating the same action (assming a TORSEN LSD), so if anything it might assist the LSD (amplifying the torque transfer).
You don't have to see it, the fact is that EDL wrecks LSD's, always has been that way. Go ahead, try a torsen with active EDL in the rear diff, you'll be lucky if it lasts a day.

The thought had crossed my mind. Never got around to it. Seem to me cracking in to the ESP unit would be more fun, and would also give me control over EDL as well.

Any possible downsides to FF'ing (or FE'ing) KLDMASRL?
You are contradicting yourself. You are saying you want to crack the ESP unit, yet you are posting a map from the ECU.
Doing anything with the ECU is useless when you have yaw control in the ESP unit enabled.

For 2.7TT it is very simple - fit an older ABS unit from pre-facelift car. No ESP.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:38 AM »

You don't have to see it, the fact is that EDL wrecks LSD's, always has been that way.

Was hoping for something a bit more informative. In any case, torsen + torsen is bad with or without EDL. Looking at a clutch type diff.

You are contradicting yourself. You are saying you want to crack the ESP unit, yet you are posting a map from the ECU.

ARGH! Please bear with me before flying off the handle Tongue

There are three separate topics here:

1) ESP unit modifications (never tried)
2) Numbing ASR from the ESP unit by modifying the ECU (KLDMASRL)
3) Disabling EDL.

Doing anything with the ECU is useless when you have yaw control in the ESP unit enabled.

With respect to EDL, not ASR?

For 2.7TT it is very simple - fit an older ABS unit from pre-facelift car. No ESP.

I'm told this isn't that easy, since the harness is very different. Also, that doesn't help with respect to disabling EDL?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:44:04 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

prj

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2015, 02:51:45 AM »

ASR, ABS, EDL and yaw control are all different things.

The only way you can disable yaw control is turn off ESP.
EDL - you need to pull a fuse.

As for the ESP function being permanently off - this is very easy to do in the ECU with a single byte mod.
But you won't be able to switch it back on.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
turboat

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »

As for the ESP function being permanently off - this is very easy to do in the ECU with a single byte mod.

Slightly confused by this, do you mean that I can do a single byte mod to the ecu and that will disable esp and yaw, or if I disable esp in the engine ecu, I will still have yaw control active?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »

ASR, ABS, EDL and yaw control are all different things.

EDL - you need to pull a fuse.

But you won't be able to switch it back on.

Yes, that is the purpose of this thread. All of those are being discussed if you browse the rest of the thread.

For the lazy:

Turning off ESP: I can see the ASR path (both slow/load and fast/timing), but I don't see how the ECU controls yaw control, only the req torque/timing interference via ASR messages.

Fuse 42: I'm unsure of side effects on brake biasing
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:35:02 AM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

stuklr

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »

I can attest that pulling fuse #42(power for the steering angle sensor) does affect brake bias. In the opposite way you would expect, the fronts would lock easier, probably in a effort to keep it from spinning in a panic braking event without esp.

That was my only work around for disabling ESP after removing the air suspension from my allroad. Without the air susp control module, the esp would automatically come back on above 40mph. Now by FFing KLDMASRL, I still get full power, but the esp will try to keep the car straight. No fun power slides on snowy roads, but at least it doesn't kill my power when I slip a little.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »

Now by FFing KLDMASRL, I still get full power, but the esp will try to keep the car straight. No fun power slides on snowy roads, but at least it doesn't kill my power when I slip a little.

I'm worried this is just dumping power into your brakes...

ECUx Plot

julex

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:01 AM »

I'm worried this is just dumping power into your brakes...

Coscious driver should be able to tell when car is not accelerating as normal when ESP kicks in and modulates all four wheels while going full boost. I think this is a perfect set up tbh. I just flashed changes to my ECU and with 2-3ft of snow expected today/tmorrow I should have plenty opportunity to test it Smiley
masterj

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »

I haven't read whole topic but maybe whole NASNOTKL  = FF will help? This will at least disable miasrl_w load reduction Smiley As a bonus this will also ignore requested load reduction from auto transmission. Or am I wrong?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »

I haven't read whole topic but maybe whole NASNOTKL  = FF will help? This will at least disable miasrl_w load reduction Smiley As a bonus this will also ignore requested load reduction from auto transmission. Or am I wrong?

I'm seeing the opposite, it seems to inhibit miext (from misrs) in MDABWS, but not miasrl_w

Which is odd, since MDABWS looks like it is labeled "engine stall protection" which you would think would be there to override mifa with a LARGER value... unless that comment is slightly misplaced and refers to mimsr.

In any case, it seems like if I'm reading this right doing BOTH might be the real solution:

CWMSRCAN.2=1 and KLDMASRL=0xff (override miasrl_w)
NASNOTKL=0xff (override miasrs_w)

Note that "Abwuergeschutz" means "anti-stall" though, so then again... I really don't get why anti-stall would involve CAPPING the requested torque.

Finally, 0xff seems to mean 2550 rpm, which isn't that useful. I think in general it might not be a good idea to interfere with miasrs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:42:30 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

stuklr

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

The current changes have served me well so far. I was mostly annoyed when I would get torque reduction when grabbing second. If its snowy out, I can spin, as long as its straight, with no ill effects. If I have to turn the wheel, then EDL and ESP start to apply brakes to correct. But that is exactly what is supposed to happen. Only now it straightens the car without killing forward momentum. Odd to get used to, but works very well.

But this was perfect for those times in the wet when I just want to take off without being slapped by the traction control.  If I really want to hoon around, I just kill fuse #42.
masterj

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:05 AM »

I'm seeing the opposite, it seems to inhibit miext (from misrs) in MDABWS, but not miasrl_w

Which is odd, since MDABWS looks like it is labeled "engine stall protection" which you would think would be there to override mifa with a LARGER value... unless that comment is slightly misplaced and refers to mimsr.

In any case, it seems like if I'm reading this right doing BOTH might be the real solution:

CWMSRCAN.2=1 and KLDMASRL=0xff (override miasrl_w)
NASNOTKL=0xff (override miasrs_w)

Note that "Abwuergeschutz" means "anti-stall" though, so then again... I really don't get why anti-stall would involve CAPPING the requested torque.

Finally, 0xff seems to mean 2550 rpm, which isn't that useful. I think in general it might not be a good idea to interfere with miasrs.

Are you sure that NASNOTKL in your file is limited to 2550 rpm? In my file it is 10200rpm (factor 40)

P.S> look into MDKOL, NASNOTKL outputs nasnottm variable which is used in MDKOL (nmot < nasnottm) and thus skipping miasrl_w and miges_w
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:12:55 AM by masterj » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: