Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: running lean  (Read 44750 times)
golfputtputt

« on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

1.8t awp here. Plugs are OEM, OEM boost level, OEM turbo.

Plugs are running so hot, the tip of the platinum melted the fuck off. Logs attached. Part throttle only.

Why am I running so lean but not throwing a code?
Carsinc

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »

omg I cannot, that log is to damn long.
Logs should be 2nd or 3rd gear 1500 to redline, not a 10 mile drive to buy pickles
golfputtputt

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »

Plugs are getting burnt up due to part throttle driving. If you have no interest in helping, no sense in posting.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:47:21 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
Carsinc

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »

Dude, I'm not being a dick and i do want to help I just doubt the plugs are being melted by part thottle driving.
I'm not sure why i did not see lean conditions in the logs or timing pull beside cyl 1.
nubcake

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »

omg I cannot, that log is to damn long.
Logs should be 2nd or 3rd gear 1500 to redline, not a 10 mile drive to buy pickles

There's nothing wrong with pickles errand logs. You can easily filter out all the useless info.

Plugs are getting burnt up due to part throttle driving. If you have no interest in helping, no sense in posting.

A brief glance at your log didn't reveal anything obviously wrong. AFRs are in check, knock is minimal. Boost PID needs work. Include ps_w next time as well please. Although I noticed that you started with relatively cold engine - and coolant temp keeps climbing till the end of the log. Does it actually stabilize at 90ish? It looked like so, but still I'd like a confirmation. Also, vfil_w is constantly zero all the time. Speed sensor inop?
adam-

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:39:36 AM »

Yeah, I couldn't see anything either.  Calculated EGT is low too.  What plugs are you using?  Likewise on coolant temp, does it stabilise? 

Nubcake - vfil will be 0 probably because 1.8t and cluster fuse pulled.
golfputtputt

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 06:52:28 AM »

I posted this in another thread because they asked. This is the history on the situation.

I installed the LS2/Yukon coil pack ignition system on 10/05/16 at 11am. All time prior to this time, the car was operating on engine code AWD hitachi bolt on coil packs. on 10/05/16 at 6pm I got the idea to check my spark plugs BECAUSE: over the past 6 months i've checked and gapped my spark plugs 4 times. At the beginning of this time period I was running OEM (but not OEM labelled) NGK R PR6Q platinum resistor plugs as defined by the bentley manual. Checked and gapped the plugs to the required spec (.025"). After 2 months, misfires on specific cylinders and random multiple cylinder misfires. Replaced coils on specific cylinders and rechecked plugs. Gap is now .040". corrected gap back to .025". another 2 months goes by. more misfires. replace more coilpacks, check plugs again. again, gap is .040"

I am fed up. I replace plugs with NGK R PR6Q OEM LABELED plugs and gap them to the required .025". replace another coilpack. Not sure if coils are dying, or what else is going on so i plan to replace my ignition system with the more reliable LS2/yukon coil packs and cables in order to rule out that my coils are dying off. Finish this and sit on it because i'm lazy and don't want to install it.

2 more months go by and i'm getting HEAVY misfires and bad circuit codes from cylinder 3 coilpack. replace the pack, look at wiring harness which was replaced 6 months ago at the beginning of this escapade. decide to replace packs with Ls2 packs finally.

That brings me to 10/05/16 where I pull the plugs and the tips are missing and the gap is .050"+
So tell me, if my plugs have been burning up and I put the coilpack system yesterday, how could that be the cause of my plugs burning?

Apologies for the sarcasm

Also, through that part driving stint, my EGT model reached 600 deg C. That's very hot for a trip to get pickles no?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:16:38 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
golfputtputt

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »

Thanks nubcake

A brief glance at your log didn't reveal anything obviously wrong. AFRs are in check, knock is minimal. Boost PID needs work. Include ps_w next time as well please. Although I noticed that you started with relatively cold engine - and coolant temp keeps climbing till the end of the log. Does it actually stabilize at 90ish? It looked like so, but still I'd like a confirmation. Also, vfil_w is constantly zero all the time. Speed sensor inop?

I'm still learning how to tune boost PID. I'm in the midst of studying it.
I will include ps_w next time.
I will look into an old log or take a new, longer log to confirm coolant temp stabilization. Coolant temps stabilize on the gauge but i haven't checked in the log yet.

vfil_w is very annoying and is related to something else that I can't figure out. I keep getting a code for 'vehicle speed sensor: implausible signal' so I replaced the sensor and am still getting it. I will be replacing the gear stalk that feeds the sensor and see if that solves it, otherwise I'm unsure why it's receiving an implausible signal.

Does vehicle speed get fed through the CAN/BUS system to the cluster and then to the ECU? If that's the case then pulling the cluster fuse would interupt that signal and cause the code for vehicle speed sensor implausible signal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:05:21 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
nubcake

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »

Yes, it comes from the cluster. Disregard that comment then.
golfputtputt

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »

Left: Non OEM label PR6Q
Right: OEM label PR6Q

Perhaps just the construction is different and the tips did not melt off, not sure. Could be a difference in where/how NGK gets its plugs manufactured. Regardless, the porcelain is a bit burnt and the rapidly expanding gap can't be ignored.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:24:42 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
golfputtputt

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »

Bought PFR7S8EG plugs. a heat range higher. Hopefully they don't keep getting fucked up.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »

Torquing the spark plugs properly? I've seen plugs have issues/fail due to not being able to transfer combustion heat into the head.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
golfputtputt

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »

Arghh. I am admittedly lazy about that. I usually just get a 3/8 drive socket wrench on it...i'll torque them properly
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 07:36:20 AM »

I would never mix spark plugs, they are not expensive so replace all at once. ok it gets a little more expensive with a V12  Grin
The copper ones BKR7E I use for 15.000km, and they cost 10€ per set. Then I bin them and put in new ones.

Considering your topic: How are your fuel trims? In your log I dont see any reason to expect that you are running lean. Unless you recalibrated the o2 sensor or something...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:41:37 AM by TijnCU » Logged

golfputtputt

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »

Fuel trims seem to hover around 1, at least well within the 10% range.
Yea I surmised that i'm not running lean from the logs.

I'll be replacing all 4 plugs with level 7 NGK's and torquing to appropriate spec. should do the trick hopefully.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: