Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Author Topic: 1.8T 20vt Injectors  (Read 74323 times)
nokiafix

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »

Going back to the OPs question....  Is where we needed to be at.

There is a reason your last 9:1 tune is seeing so little advance at 30psi this needs looking into.

I personally know I can run 400-450bhp with same CR on 98ron fuel and make 20deg+ advance in the power band.    I would have a bet the Ibiza dude above would have seen the same results??    As I know one of his customers running 400bhp+ 9.5:1 with oem Ibiza pistons 20deg+ with zero knock.

I won't argue the matter anymore, I will do my usual trick and prove the fact that 400bhp+ 1.8t large port AGU at 9.25:1 will run to 20deg+ advance  4500rpm+ without  knock/pinking.

The ols300 emulator is perfect for setting timing up in real time with steady state plotting.
carsey

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »

Surely the principles of a Forced indution engine are the same?  1.8T runs a 9.5 or a 9.0 on a BAM and the Edition 30 BYD lump runs a 9.8:1 compression ratio?    So surely the air entering the cylinder through the inlet is the same as that of the lower compression engine?  So why have VW opted for a higher CR engine on a FI engine?

Matchew - I think he meant in a 1.8T application

Surely If I can run more boost on a lower CR application, does this not cause excess heat produced by the turbo and higher exhaust gas temperatures?  Something which should be as controlled as possible??? as im sure we all know what happens when EGT gets too high..

Surely if this is going to be a weekend car, not something im going to solely use gonig down the 1/4 mile strip then I will be wanting some drivability off boost and not have the car feeling dead unless I was constantly on WOT throttle....and I cant see that happening with 500BHP+ going through the wheels as I dont think my license would last long doing that everywhere I drove.  (although was fun in AGU k03s @ 250bhp)

PRJ - your points (excuse my lack of mapping knowledge on this one)

Talking pump gas:

1. No one ever stated high CR does not work, it was stated that lowering CR will allow you to extract more power.
You said my setup had serious issues in your first post on this thread due to running a High CR on GTX3071r?

2. You will not notice any difference driving the car until about 8.0:1, because down low throttle response is governed by pedal mapping more than anything on DBW cars, the difference in CR is not really noticeable.
I think I will be going for linear throttle mapping on this one, to retain how a cable driven throttle body would function....Not into this you get 80% power at 50% throttle position crap from stock VW mapping

3. With higher CR rpm vs boost will look better, but time vs boost and time vs RPM will look worse.
Back to my above point of more boost equals more heat??  killer of engines?

4. The factory runs high CR due to emissions and even the factory drops the CR on the K04 engines, although this is travesty from their standpoint of emissions.
If anything, thats quite the opposite that happened.....Early 1.8T engines (AGU for example @ CR of 9.5:1 )with no emissions stuff such as VVT or SAI ran a HIGHER compression than those of the later variety using SAI and VVT for emission purposes where CR was dropped to 9.0?
prj

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »

Going back to the OPs question....  Is where we needed to be at.
So you are saying that the OP would not make more power on lower CR?
There is a reason your last 9:1 tune is seeing so little advance at 30psi this needs looking into.
What's there to look into? It is completely normal that this is going on.
Boost any 5 valve head to this amount and you will see exactly the same thing. Take a stock 2.7TT, boost it to 30 psi, you will see the same timing advance.
Take a RS4, boost it to 30 psi, it's almost as bad.

I personally know I can run 400-450bhp with same CR on 98ron fuel and make 20deg+ advance in the power band.    I would have a bet the Ibiza dude above would have seen the same results??    As I know one of his customers running 400bhp+ 9.5:1 with oem Ibiza pistons 20deg+ with zero knock.
You completely ignored that I pointed out your numbers did not match up. Or am I a super mega tuner and can make the same power as you at 3 deg advance, as you at 21 deg advance? Fact of the matter, you were not running 30 psi @ 6800 rpm, or your setup had other issues.
I see lots of statements but no logs. I can make 450 hp on 10:1, I will just have to rev the crap out of the engine. What is your point?
My point is, that these engines are forced induction, not N/A.

Surely the principles of a Forced indution engine are the same?  1.8T runs a 9.5 or a 9.0 on a BAM and the Edition 30 BYD lump runs a 9.8:1 compression ratio?    So surely the air entering the cylinder through the inlet is the same as that of the lower compression engine?  So why have VW opted for a higher CR engine on a FI engine?

Matchew - I think he meant in a 1.8T application

Surely If I can run more boost on a lower CR application, does this not cause excess heat produced by the turbo and higher exhaust gas temperatures?  Something which should be as controlled as possible??? as im sure we all know what happens when EGT gets too high..
You got it completely wrong. You don't need to run more boost to make more power at a lower compression ratio.
For the final time, you are not running a perfect fuel. Your fuel has an octane rating. Get that through your head and everything will make sense.

1. No one ever stated high CR does not work, it was stated that lowering CR will allow you to extract more power.
You said my setup had serious issues in your first post on this thread due to running a High CR on GTX3071r?
Yes, because I like cars to make power.
You will see gains across the power band by dropping CR, that is why I said it is not optimal. Plain and simple.

2. You will not notice any difference driving the car until about 8.0:1, because down low throttle response is governed by pedal mapping more than anything on DBW cars, the difference in CR is not really noticeable.
I think I will be going for linear throttle mapping on this one, to retain how a cable driven throttle body would function....Not into this you get 80% power at 50% throttle position crap from stock VW mapping
That doesn't matter. You will not notice any difference between 8.0:1 and 9.0:1 on part throttle.
Also, the throttle on cable cars is not "linear". Low down the range, you have effectively full power output at 50% and lower of the throttle, simply because the engine can not breathe anymore and the throttle is not the restriction.
The reason the OEM maps the car the way it does, is to give the engine a linear feel between off-boost and on-boost behavior. So that you do not instinctively floor it, then lift the throttle when the car starts coming on boost, as you do with a DBW throttle. The idea is to map a certain produced torque to a pedal position in all RPM ranges, that is why it is calibrated the way it is.
Dissing the stock calibration without understanding it seems a really popular thing.

3. With higher CR rpm vs boost will look better, but time vs boost and time vs RPM will look worse.
Back to my above point of more boost equals more heat??  killer of engines?
If you actually understood anything of what I am saying, you would understand that this was describing spool characteristics.
Breaking it down for you. If you plot the car WOT from 2000 to 4000 rpm, then a lower CR engine will get from 2000 RPM to 4000 RPM quicker than the higher CR engine, unless the CR is so low that it is not restricting timing anymore. Now re-read what I wrote with this in mind, and you will understand.

4. The factory runs high CR due to emissions and even the factory drops the CR on the K04 engines, although this is travesty from their standpoint of emissions.
If anything, thats quite the opposite that happened.....Early 1.8T engines (AGU for example @ CR of 9.5:1 )with no emissions stuff such as VVT or SAI ran a HIGHER compression than those of the later variety using SAI and VVT for emission purposes where CR was dropped to 9.0?
Incorrect. Go and educate yourself a little bit on the compression ratios of different 1.8T engines.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
carsey

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »

I have the compression ratios from VW ELSAWIN system in front of my now......It quite clearly states BAM is 9.0:1 and AGU is 9.5:1....unless I am somehow reading the wrong figures?

prj

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

I have the compression ratios from VW ELSAWIN system in front of my now......It quite clearly states BAM is 9.0:1 and AGU is 9.5:1....unless I am somehow reading the wrong figures?

Because BAM is a K04 car and AGU is a K03 car. Exactly as I said before.
The factory dropped CR on the K04 cars, because they needed to run more boost pressure without overheating the car to make advertised power.

Log your car properly.
ibizacupra

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »

Because BAM is a K04 car and AGU is a K03 car. Exactly as I said before.
The factory dropped CR on the K04 cars, because they needed to run more boost pressure without overheating the car to make advertised power.

....and nothing to do with them running lambda=1 apart from last column of 0.953 and rely on egt protection to kick in when it reaches 920'c
Compared to other wideband k03 based cars which have a very different fuel strategy... and run them richer with load.. down into the 0.7x lambda region in comparison

You say overheating?  We see egt's far higher on the lower CR K04 cars than their k03 cousins with higher CR... and its the tune which causes this.... and their approach to keep it lambda 1 as much as possible.

Is 30psi your chosen boost number?  You do refer to it a lot....

prj

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:27 AM »

....and nothing to do with them running lambda=1 apart from last column of 0.953 and rely on egt protection to kick in when it reaches 920'c
Compared to other wideband k03 based cars which have a very different fuel strategy... and run them richer with load.. down into the 0.7x lambda region in comparison

You say overheating?  We see egt's far higher on the lower CR K04 cars than their k03 cousins with higher CR... and its the tune which causes this.... and their approach to keep it lambda 1 as much as possible.

The reason they keep them at lambda 1 this much, is so they can guarantee emissions, very simple.
The reason the calibration changed is because these cars got real EGT sensors, whereas the others did not have them.
CR was dropped because otherwise ignition angle efficiency would suffer at high load and the car would no longer make advertised power while staying within component tolerances.
You do realize that the OEM's advertised power is made in all sorts of adverse conditions, not only on one pull on the dyno?
You also might want to familiarize yourself with changes between Euro II and Euro III emissions.

What's your point?
You really want to say that at lower CR a car produces less emissions?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:41:38 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
nokiafix

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:44 AM »

Are you really that thick?    Now thats rude dude..

At least he can tune a car at 9:1 and run enough timing to aid the boost..lol

IMO Ibizacurpa is one of the best high power 1.8T tuners in the UK, he is running more 450bhp+ 1.8T car than maybe all the the other Uk tuners out there.  His own 1.8T is a 600+bhp monster.

Nick

ibizacupra

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »

The reason they keep them at lambda 1 this much, is so they can guarantee emissions, very simple.
The reason the calibration changed is because these cars got real EGT sensors, whereas the others did not have them.
CR was dropped because otherwise ignition angle efficiency would suffer at high load and the car would no longer make advertised power while staying within component tolerances. You do realize that the OEM's advertised power is made in all sorts of adverse conditions, not only on one pull on the dyno?

What's your point?
You really want to say that at lower CR a car produces less emissions? Are you really that thick?

Hmmm.
Lets compare lambda 1 strategy from K04 car with K03 car which enriches on lamfa etc
ign

and the other ign

Despite their lower CR, their ign timing does not run to the same numbers... and in your mind this is Nothing to do with how they have chosen to Fuel the respective setups and all to do with the compression ratios of the two engines..

Are you really that thick?

Wink Wink Wink

prj

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »

Despite their lower CR, their ign timing does not run to the same numbers... and in your mind this is Nothing to do with how they have chosen to Fuel the respective setups and all to do with the compression ratios of the two engines..

Are you blind ? The TT has 3-5 degrees more advance at the same load sites all over the power band.

Log your car properly.
nokiafix

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »

Going back to the log you posted up..................

Do you tune many high power 1.8T setups?

Why so lean pre 3500rpm?   This setup would respond better running .9 / .89 in the upto 3500rpm. then IMO you would have no CF.

Is this the car in question?  With $5 air filter?
http://prj-tuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/20121019_144042-700x525.jpg

prj

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:25 AM »

Going back to the log you posted up..................

Do you tune many high power 1.8T setups?
I mostly tune high power 2.2T setups. I've done a few 1.8T.
Why so lean pre 3500rpm?   This setup would respond better running .9 / .89 in the upto 3500rpm. then IMO you would have no CF.
Because absolutely nothing happens pre-3500 rpm.
Stop looking at small details and see the big picture. You are the one who claims you can run 21 deg timing at 30 psi on a 5v head with 9.5:1, not me.
If you look at the OEM timing map it's pretty clear this claim is ridiculous.
Running 0.9 or 0.8 or w/e lambda upto 3500 is not affecting pretty much anything, tested back and forth. You are not going to magically gain 10 degrees of timing from 0.05-0.1 lambda.

You also commented something about "sawtooth" - this is how it looks if you are running different timing per cylinder, and this is not torque intervention, which looks completely different.
Maybe someone needs to revisit ZUE?

Oh cool, you found my website and are going to launch personal attacks against my clients?
Can I see yours?

How about you start playing ball, not the player.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:13:40 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
nokiafix

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »

I've done a few 1.8T       Rest my case....

Between me and Ibizacupra over the last 10 years is more like a 1.8T 1000+cars each.

I am being straight with you dude, IMHO something not right on that setup hardware or mapping wise.  Without seeing/logging the car I cannot tell you what the issues is.

Nick
ibizacupra

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2012, 07:02:12 AM »

Are you blind ? The TT has 3-5 degrees more advance at the same load sites all over the power band.

wtf are you looking at...  Its Clearly visible...

fair play.... you are a piece of work.. Rude and arrogant..  

You are knowledgable, but beyond arrogant and no one else could possible know as much as you or be able to tune car...  
~That Pretty much sums you up as I and others see it..

Shame..
you might be a decent enough guy, but your mannerism on here is abysmal..

maybe its lost in translation..?  Estonian to English.. I dont know.

nokiafix

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2012, 07:03:52 AM »

Oh cool, you found my website and are going to launch personal attacks against my clients?
Can I see yours?

Dude I am not like that at all, dont worry about that at all mate.

My company is R-Tech Performance tuning.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: