Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 170
Author Topic: The Volvo ME7 thread:  (Read 911627 times)
fredrik_a

« on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »

Hi all,

I've recently been working on my Volvo S60 T5 with ME7, and as the software layout is "quite similar" to the VAG ME7, it was straight forward to locate and adjust the basic maps for more performance (i.e. fuel, ignition, limiters, boost paramters). The car has now elevated boost from approx. 0.8 bar to 1.4 bar but I'm running out of fuel (both due to injector size and fuel pump capacity). As I'm switching injectors now I have trouble locating the proper settings in the software and I'm seeing the need for a definition file to take this project further (with new turbo, new fuel pump, new injectors, new IC, new clutch).

Understanding that this is basically a VAG dominated forum  Wink I thought it was worth a shot just asking if anyone has a DAMOS for Volvo ME7 (29F800 chip, i.e. 1.024 kB size).

Any input is appreciated,

Best Regards
Fredrik
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:38:55 AM by ddillenger » Logged
turboskipper

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »

Hi all,

I've recently been working on my Volvo S60 T5 with ME7, and as the software layout is "quite similar" to the VAG ME7, it was straight forward to locate and adjust the basic maps for more performance (i.e. fuel, ignition, limiters, boost paramters). The car has now elevated boost from approx. 0.8 bar to 1.4 bar but I'm running out of fuel (both due to injector size and fuel pump capacity). As I'm switching injectors now I have trouble locating the proper settings in the software and I'm seeing the need for a definition file to take this project further (with new turbo, new fuel pump, new injectors, new IC, new clutch).

Understanding that this is basically a VAG dominated forum  Wink I thought it was worth a shot just asking if anyone has a DAMOS for Volvo ME7 (29F800 chip, i.e. 1.024 kB size).

Any input is appreciated,

Best Regards
Fredrik

What tool are you using to flash? I tried connecting to my coworkers S60R with Tony's nefmoto flashing tool and could not connect.

Thanks!
fredrik_a

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »

What tool are you using to flash?

To be honest I don't use any tool to flash actually as I have not yet gotten my hands on any stable flash tool that works properly in 100% of the cases. As a result, I've gone the "old school way" of de-soldering the stock IC, read it using a Batronix programmer (BX40 Bagero... Costs about $250US) and then used an AM29F800BB chip that can be programmed an "unlimited ammonut of times" using the same Batronix gear. As this is sort of a project still in progress, I've soldered a chip socket in the ECU that allows me to just "snap" the chip into place with no need for soldering, making re-programming fairly easy. Taking the ECU out of the car, opening it up, removing the AM29F800BB, erasing it, programming it with a new file, putting it back in the socket and then putting the ECU back in the car takes about 5 minutes at the most so it's really no big deal so I'm in no hurry to find a flashing tool although it would be comfortable I guess...
Once the updated software is completed I'll probably solder the chip back into the ECU again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:40:00 PM by fredrik_a » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:02:42 AM »

Fredrik, I would be interested to see a dump of an S60 orig file, can you provide one.
Will be easier than searching the internet for Volvo images  Wink.
fredrik_a

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:01 AM »

Fredrik, I would be interested to see a dump of an S60 orig file, can you provide one.
Will be easier than searching the internet for Volvo images  Wink.

Sure, here it is. Keep in mind that Volvo (for some strange reason) sets the same HW and SW identifier in basically all their files regardless what the files actually are. Regardless what the file is, they most often state HW 0261204559 and SW 359462 in the files which can be very confusing.

I've come across basically two different architectures (one quite similar to VAG layout and one... Well... Let's say that it's not as easily navigated) of the Volvo ME7 files. The one posted here is from my car and represents the "easily navigated" architecture. Just by the visual apperance of the file you can easily find the most common areas needed for tuning when you know your way around a VAG ME7 file.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:04:27 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »

Thanks for the dump and the hints about versions and layout. I was more interested to
look for the K-line communication functions in this image than locating the maps for tuning.
I could find the same communication functions as used in VAG ecu's. Fastinit and slowinit
with address 0x11 should be possible for KWP2000, but as expected KWP1281 is not supported.
fredrik_a

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:29:07 AM »

should be possible for KWP2000

Yes it is. In the current SW package that comes with a standard KWP2000 interface there is no support for this ECU (if I remember things correctly), but for the updated MPPS-flasher there is support for Volvo Me7. http://www.amtcartech.com
Come to think of it, I think that they also released a separate ME7 software package for the old KWP2000 actually. I'll do some digging...

I've also upped the stakes somewhat in the project as new rods as well as new cams are finding their way into the engine bay. This presents me with a few challanges where one of them will be boost levels above 1.5 bar. One of my problems so far is that the current setup of stock turbo and stock cams give a horrible back pressure. Once that is taken care of by new cams and a larger turbine housing more boost will be realistic... But as I'm running about 1.4 bars now we are getting very close to the limit of the 250kPa MAP-sensor. I need to find a decent way around this and perhaps a stand-alone boost controller is the only practical way. I managed to locate the map that controlls the allowed boost deviation (target vs actual) and just to make sure it was the right one I re-calibrated it to allow only 0.1 bars of deviation and sure thing... After a short testdrive the fault code for "boost deviation" flashed so it was obviously the right one. In theory perhaps I could FF this entire table to run a separate boost controller... Time will tell...

It's not the ideal way to have a separate boost control unit, but what can you do if you don't want to re-calculate all possible functions in the ECU by changing to a 300kPa sensor or something like this.

The fun continues but as previsously mentioned... A proper damos would be helpful.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:08:59 AM by fredrik_a » Logged
fredrik_a

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:33 AM »

Has anyone found anything of interest on the Volvo ME7 damos subject? :-)

The engine is now fitted with new turbo, new rods, new cams, new fuel pump, new fuel injectors and new intercooler. The engine starts up and works quite well after having adjusted the MAF-scaling and a few other things. Back pressure has dramatically gone down on full load from 130% to 80% (relative MAP) so the cam switch wasn't a complete waste. Only penalty is that boost enters about 200 rpm's later compared to stock cams.

The issues so far...

The stock ME7 software combined with the stock cams will never enable fuel injectors before the intake valve is open, no point in squirting fuel on closed valves with no airflow. After having switched the cams, the valves do open earlier and also closes later and as a result... The engine will start to consume air with no fuel added to it for a short period of time creating what I would suspect being a non ideal mixture. This needs to be adressed but I can't seem to find the proper settings for this timing so... If anyone stumbles over a Volvo ME7 Damos... Please let me know :-)
Dilemma

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:21:33 AM »

Nobody has info on the volvo ME7 maps?

Come on guys... hit us with it for the greater good Smiley
RaraK

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »

Come on guys... hit us with it for the greater good Smiley
read your bin and start searching......me7 is me7...you just gotta know what you need to find..

i have tuned 996T's without damos and just searching maps from knowing the 1.8t VW's and having an idea of whta im looking for.
fredrik_a

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »

I have no further information, but my car is working properly as is right now. There are of course a few details that needs to be adressed (at least in theory) but for day-2-day driving it works perfectly.

As mentioned above, the layout of the Volvo ME7 comes in two basic versions and one of them is very similar to the VAG ones so if you know your way around VAG you can quite easily make decent adjustments for your basic Stage 1-2-3 tunes. Of course, finding the functions for rear lambda disable etc. (that might come in handy if using a cat with lower efficiency than stock) might still be a challange.

The other layout used by Volvo is a bit trickier to navigate if you are used to VAG...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:42:07 PM by fredrik_a » Logged
fredrik_a

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:27 AM »

Ok, a friendly source hooked me up with a semi-suitable set of documentation for my ECU and voila, the last functions I needed to adjust are completed and the car has just hit the dyno.

In stock condition Volvo claims 250hp/330Nm for this engine type. Whether this is minimum, average or maximum is hard to tell, and how (what standard) the performance is/was measured is also something I have no clue about. Never the less...

As the dyno is not free rolling you can set if you want to measure at a fixed rpm or in an interval, and the duration of the interval can be set as well. I choose (for a number of reasons actually) to run 2krpm to 7krpm in 15 seconds and results are as follows:

Maximum boost 1.52 bar
Maximum back pressure in turbine housing 1.27 bar
Maximum EGT 872°C (during hard driving on the road it get's a bit higher than this though)
Maximum temperature after intercooler 51°C (cooling in the dyno is not as efficient as on the road with a headwind of 100 mph)
Maximum power 387 hp (6110 rpm)
Maximum torque 579 Nm (2715 rpm)

As there is room for more power (EGT OK, back pressure OK, MAT OK etc.) next step is to figure out this 1.55 bar boost pressure level thing.
dream3R

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »

Any chance you can share you ME7 mapping info?  There is a free flash suite in progres

How to work out values from an A2L Smiley

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5525.msg52371#msg52371

Starting Rev's http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=5397.msg51169#msg51169

noobs read this before asking http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=9014.0title=

ORGORIGINAL 05 5120 creator for Volvo
ORIGINAL Datalogger (Freeware) Author
ORGINAL finder of the 'extra' torque' limits
I don't have ME7.01 A2L I just use ID
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »

winols is best for map searching.
if youd download the demo from evc you can go through it and the help menu guides you through map finding :-)
I'm not very good at it myself, but i have found a few and fixed others.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
fredrik_a

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »

Any chance you can share you ME7 mapping info?  There is a free flash suite in progres

I can't share the documentation as it is not mine to share, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about my calibration changes so just fire away.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: