Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 174
Author Topic: The Volvo ME7 thread:  (Read 941657 times)
prometey1982

« Reply #2490 on: January 13, 2024, 04:40:09 AM »

I hope my english is not that bad either Smiley
Пиши по-русски. Дмитрий его знает.

Россия - Великая страна!
https://youtu.be/fup5GzIFdXk
prj

« Reply #2491 on: January 13, 2024, 05:06:57 AM »

So you simply cools cylinder Smiley But at the same time you heat up exhaust parts Smiley
Exhaust valves and exhaust ports are also "exhaust parts".
Retard ignition in steady state and you focus so much heat on this area that you melt it or drop a valve resulting in engine failure.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
keichi

« Reply #2492 on: January 13, 2024, 05:15:59 AM »

Exhaust valves and exhaust ports are also "exhaust parts".
Retard ignition in steady state and you focus so much heat on this area that you melt it or drop a valve resulting in engine failure.
Exactly, we have to choose if we prefer to melt pistons or exhaust valves Wink
Fortunately we can cool cylinders dumping extra fuel inside.

Fun fact: lean mixture is cooler then rich mixture Smiley
But extra fuel evaporation have greater cooling effect then richer mixture raised heat.
It even do not have to be fuel. We can dump anything that will vaporize,like water - its like human skin producing sweat to vaporize to cool it down.
Engine can not produce sweat on its own so we must deliver it Smiley

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:23:51 AM by keichi » Logged
prj

« Reply #2493 on: January 13, 2024, 05:24:01 AM »

Fun fact: lean mixture is cooler then rich mixture Smiley
This statement is incorrect on it's own.
Combustion temperature decreases in both directions of stoichiometric. The hottest burn is at stoichiometric ratio.
Rich mixture in case of liquid fuel has also the advantage of evaporative cooling...

Also in the real world you will almost never melt anything but the exhaust portion of the combustion chamber in case of normal combustion.
So minimizing EGT is a very good tuning strategy. The whole heat transfer to the large surface area of the piston and engine block is almost irrelevant for the end user in a well designed engine.
It is the hotspot near the exhaust valve with high EGT's that creates heat related failures.

And of course all kind of irregular combustion, such as detonation, preignition and so on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:28:11 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
keichi

« Reply #2494 on: January 13, 2024, 06:13:42 AM »

Yeah maybe i used wrong words. Lambda 1,0 is the hottest. Then towards leaner it get cooler and toward richer albo cooler.
But leaner gets cooler because combustion produces less heat.
And richer gets cooler because of evaporation (combustion alone is still hotter but yeah it is irrelevant).

As for melting things, you can easily melt piston also Smiley

I think we agree to the most parts, but maybe use other words to present our point of view Smiley

But as for EGT i still think that in most cases this measure is overrated or even misleading.
Specially when there is single EGT probe somewhere further in the exhaust.
Only case i see to be useful is having separate sensors on all cylinders.
Then at least you can catch a cylinder in which the combustion process differs from the rest that means some trouble.
But who does that? Most people put single EGT in some random place that shows weather Smiley
Or they want ALS so much because its so "cool" (pun intended Wink and they panic when EGT goes crazy above 1100C or more when they fire up ALS Smiley
Then they can't understand that it is heat "outside" engine Smiley And they want ALS that will be cooler but still "cool" Wink

And if i am already offtopic, one more regarding conflicting expectations.
I tuned client's car from stock 250HP to 360HP. Then he was surprised that his fuel economy went down a lot Smiley
He can't understand why did this happens Smiley He though that fuel economy will even improve after that power increase Smiley
I don't know from where people get this kind of assumptions but its similar to EGT readings and assumptions - less does not mean better Smiley

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:36:09 AM by keichi » Logged
prj

« Reply #2495 on: January 13, 2024, 06:47:40 AM »

As for melting things, you can easily melt piston also Smiley
In well designed factory engine almost impossible to melt piston unless pushing well over double power output.
The only ways are abnormal combustion and also creating an extremely intense hotspot near the exhaust valve by having very late timing.

But as for EGT i still think that in most cases this measure is overrated or even misleading.
Specially when there is single EGT probe somewhere further in the exhaust.
Only case i see to be useful is having separate sensors on all cylinders.
Then at least you can catch a cylinder in which the combustion process differs from the rest that means some trouble.
But who does that? Most people put single EGT in some random place that shows weather Smiley
This is true. Especially if probe is after turbo, it says absolutely nothing. Only useful for protecting catalytic converter.

Or they want ALS so much because its so "cool" (pun intended Wink and they panic when EGT goes crazy above 1100C or more when they fire up ALS Smiley
Then they can't understand that it is heat "outside" engine Smiley And they want ALS that will be cooler but still "cool" Wink
Most turbochargers are rated between 950C-1050C TIP continuous. Running 1100C+ EGT with ALS will destroy the turbo.
You will also probably damage the exhaust valves because depending on timing it is possible mixture is still burning when exhaust valve opens.
There is absolutely no need for such EGT though. You can have easily ~900C EGT with turbo producing meaningful boost.

I tuned client's car from stock 250HP to 360HP. Then he was surprised that his fuel economy went down a lot Smiley
Unless CR was dropped then fuel economy should not change except when actually using the extra power.

I don't know from where people get this kind of assumptions but its similar to EGT readings and assumptions - less does not mean better Smiley
In case of production engines in 99% cases less EGT = better.

Log your car properly.
Dannyhaddon

« Reply #2496 on: January 26, 2024, 10:14:34 AM »

Does anyone have a kthj log parameter file?
turbosundance

« Reply #2497 on: February 06, 2024, 02:47:08 PM »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've been following this thread for years and I want to thank everyone for their effort. I've just discovered openmoose and I'm currently reading my bin file from my 2005 xc70.  I want to do some logging but where do I find or got to I create an XML parameter file?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:59:00 PM by turbosundance » Logged

2005 Volvo XC70  Stock.  550,000+km and climbing daily.
turbosundance

« Reply #2498 on: February 06, 2024, 03:01:06 PM »

Here's my bin from my car that I just read.  2005 xc70 auto Canada

turbosundance

« Reply #2499 on: February 06, 2024, 05:45:45 PM »

05+ final update ( facelift and newer )
only seem to be US bins, how like QKHJ is US 2007 update for the pre facelift 04
he can try these, it is a US bin so he'd have to use an EU ESKONF and hopefully thats it just to test the BTS in the logs.
GPHJ lines up with it well, most of the addresses are close, i made a small pack for it.

enjoy

How do I tell what code my ecu file is?  I'm hoping my 05 xc70 is GSHJ.  I guess I can try this xdf with my bin file in tunerpro

Dannyhaddon

« Reply #2500 on: February 07, 2024, 03:40:15 AM »

Yours is gshj
turbosundance

« Reply #2501 on: February 07, 2024, 11:30:50 AM »

That appears to be the case. Thank you for the response!

First thing I'm going to do is change my bin file for blue injectors.  Time to learn!

If anyone has any tips on what changes to make for a 16t I'd appreciate it.  That's what I'm going to work on after getting blue injectors working.

turbosundance

« Reply #2502 on: February 08, 2024, 04:24:47 PM »

Here are a couple bin files I modified.  First one is modified for blue injectors.  Second one is for blue injectors and I've started doing work with the torque/load maps.  Any input is welcome.

turbosundance

« Reply #2503 on: February 09, 2024, 03:34:03 PM »

My load tuning experiment was a little to aggressive lol.  I loaded it in my car and I'd hit 10psi at part throttle.  Trans shifted weird and I got engine performance reduced when using cruise control.  also calculated EGTs were 600-700 most of the time. 

Blue injector tune works great, however. 

I made another bin file with the blue injector mods and I'm going to start again, more carefully, learning how the load maps work.  I've already modified the Timing maps to more closely match the R maps and the car seems to run very good.

I have lots more reading to do

s60rawr

« Reply #2504 on: February 11, 2024, 01:44:15 PM »

Here are a couple bin files I modified.  First one is modified for blue injectors.  Second one is for blue injectors and I've started doing work with the torque/load maps.  Any input is welcome.

Gshj is fun and easy to work with.
Do you need me to send the logging params as well?

There is a free flash suite in progres
OpenMoose https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GiNXfjKyLvzotT5v9Knyw0CExRMOoiHG/view?usp=drive_link
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 M66 S60R 4T5 /w Shims FID 1100cc RS4 Maf 75mm Hybrid 1.9 Bar

appreciate the -karma bomb, but could you plz keep it at -666. im cool with that, it's iconic
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: